Goulding Rocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goulding Rocket

Hi, the nose of my Goulding rocket has been sandblasted and a good sized hole welded shut. The previous owner used Fiberglass body filler to repair the patch. The repair patch is shaped like and the size of a slice of pizza. Is there anyone with the tooling available to spin a new nose or fabricate a cleaner patch which would need less filler.

Hi Neal, The original Goulding spun metal fronts were made in Saginaw. If you google spun sheet metal, you will come up with all different companys that may be able to help you out with this project. I don't know what the cost would be, but if you check into it, I would be interested to hear about it. Here is a link to the process.
    http://www.kochmetalspinning.com/slide_show.html Good Luck.

Comment

Neal, may not be the best solution or a solution at all.I'm not to familiar with the shape of the nose,could you us a spun stainless mixing bowl.They come in many different sizes.Most have flat bottom that you could mount a headlight in. If antique plane restorers can use spun aluminum exhaust fan shrouds meant for restuarants,why not?
      this is tongue in cheek,Lots of shapes in the world.Paul Friebus uses an aluminum flip style omelet pan,welded together for an oil tank on his 37 u bonneville bike.adapt and overcome.Good luck.
      Bob

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, the nose was originally chromed which is why I would like it to be spun in one piece. I'll get accurate dimensions tomorrow but it is approximately 28 inches in diameter and pretty much a ball cut in half. Does any one know how they were made? Chromed separate and then attached?

Comment

Niel, They were made separate, chromed then attached. I believe you are real close, if not right on the money with 28" diameter. I think if you get the exact measurements, you can have it reproduced.

http://www.gouldingsidecars.com/Home.html

Comment

Originally posted by Clydeflathead View Post
            Hi Neal, The original Goulding spun metal fronts were made in Saginaw. If you google spun sheet metal, you will come up with all different companys that may be able to help you out with this project. I don't know what the cost would be, but if you check into it, I would be interested to hear about it. Here is a link to the process.
            http://www.kochmetalspinning.com/slide_show.html Good Luck.
            Hi Neil,
            A friend of mine in North Carolina had some made up, but the people that spun them left a grooved finish in the dome this company is in Ill called helander metal spinning in Lombard if I remember correctly.

The people at Koch in the link above from Clydeflathead are located in Buffalo the compainy that I work for has done business with both of them, IF you decide to go this route explain to them in full what your intentions are with the dome that you want them to spin also it's not going to be cheap you will get hit with a tool making charge to fab and form the mold for the dome.
            If you want pm me and I will give you his e-mail info Good luck
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Thanks Chuck and Clyde I've bookmarked both sites, Koch and Helander. I'll get an accurate diameter and guage of the nose piece and contact them about a quote in price. From the photos on the Helander site I'll be looking at a hemispherical dome around 28 inches, were the domes just welded on how was the transition from paint to chrome achieved? Any close up shots of this connection? Or am I better off painting?

Comment

Neal, I was told they were soldered on, in eight spots around the diameter. I don't have a concrete way to verify this, except talk to another Rocket owner who has the chromed nosed sidecar. They sure are sharp with that chrome nose, the Sunburst front
                is very nice also.

I was not recomending Koch in the earlier post, just using them to show an example. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. Take photos to share of this process. I am
                sure there are others who would be interested.

Comment

Here are a few to look at. Maybe one of the owners will chime in with some information.

Comment

Thanks Clyde, all 4 of your choices have an eyebrow trim at the transition. I don't believe I've seen that piece before. The third picture looks like it has a second dome,chromed one, applied over the painted dome.

Comment

Niel, Look chrome nose and chrome panel only $20. I wish it could be that easy for ya.

Comment

oops, trying to be funny and I posted the wrong flyer. Try this one.

Comment

I need a chrome nose for mine also. marsh1915hd@msn.com Also a four bolt wheel and a set of springs.

Comment

Marsh, the four bolt wheel was a Nash Wheel if that helps. Maybe if you google nash wheels, something may come up. As for springs pm me and I will put you in touch with someone who has some.

Comment

Hey Clyde,
                              The last photo of the black panhead/goulding with the bulldogs do you by chance know the owner?
                              He use to come to some national sidecar rallys last time I recall seeing that rig was in wisconsin at the dells in 1995 I have a couple of photos of that sidecar rig.
                              Chuck
                              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
                              X