Sportster or K frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster or K frame?

What are the things to look for to tell the difference between a `52 K-model frame and an early Sportster frame? I've read back a few posts and seen talk of stamped numbers, where are they? and what numbers should I be looking for? This `ol girl has several coats of paint on her that I'm not quite ready to blast off yet. Are there any more noticeable differences?
    Member# 7397

The quickest way to tell is by looking at the engine steady (top frame mount). The Sportster is a three-sided box and the K two sided (you can see through it side to side). There are differences with the castings as well, and the late KH frames have characteristics of both early K and early Sportsters, but if you are simply looking to tell K from Sportster, check the engine steady.

Comment

Originally posted by moon wolf View Post
      The quickest way to tell is by looking at the engine steady (top frame mount). The Sportster is a three-sided box and the K two sided (you can see through it side to side). There are differences with the castings as well, and the late KH frames have characteristics of both early K and early Sportsters, but if you are simply looking to tell K from Sportster, check the engine steady.
      Figures, That is the only mod to this frame. Someone removed the top motor mount completely.
      Member# 7397

Comment

56 K frames were the first with the "drop neck" casting that was used for many years on the Sportster.

The date code is stamped on the seat post casting. There will be a fly cut area on the right side just behind the rear tank mount with the stamps. Take a look and let us know what they are.
        Dave Swanson
        1956 FLH
        1969 FLH
        1964 XLCH
        1956 KHK
        1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Working...
        X