Alternative to the Buddy Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to the Buddy Seat

Hey guys I just got a 1966FLH. Love it! One problem that I am having though is the height of the buddy seat. I am only 5'7" and tend to be on my toes while straddling the bike. I have looked at new seats by Mustang and Corbin, but I think it would be a shame to not put a period replacement seat on. Also I dont really want to drill my rear fender for a mount bolt. I have seen some seats called Calafia on EBay. Any ideas? Did I mention I prefer a white seat? Thanks guys.

You might want to try a frame mounted dual seat on your '66. It is the same seat as the buddy seat for Sportsters of the period and was an option on the FL. It is lower, and it comes in WHITE!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

So the Sportster seat will mount to the FL? Does it require different brackets? I assume the front of the seat mounts to the T-bar mount on the frame. Where would the back of the seat mount? Shewwwww. Thanks.

Comment

Go with the earlier buddy seat that was only 2 inches thick. Harley dealers had them on the shelf late into the 60's because at the time , they were not cool, no one wanted them and they just were left on the shelf. --M--6671

Comment

Originally posted by carpenterbill View Post
          So the Sportster seat will mount to the FL? Does it require different brackets? I assume the front of the seat mounts to the T-bar mount on the frame. Where would the back of the seat mount? SBuddhewwwww. Thanks.
          Buddyseat, H-D called them All Model sets came out in 1959, mounting parts kits for different models
          52511-65 Electra Glide
          52511-59 Duo-Glide
          52508-59 XLCH
          52508-61 XLH
          52508-67 XLH electric start 67 and later

Steve
          Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
          TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

I can find the seats but am having great difficulty in finding the rear mounting brackets. I believe they mount to the rear shock stud. Any ideas on where I could locate a pair or if they make repops? Anyone got one (a bracket or the whole seat) laying around on a parts shelf?

Comment

My friend has several and would be glad to sell you one. 817-275-6101.

Comment

I will try to call tomorrow. Just to be sure I need the FLH style not Sportster. Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

I have owned several 65's and 67's.
                  At 6 feet tall, I have found all buddy seat combos to dang high and uncomfortable.

I always went with a superglide type seat-one little hole in the fender easily fixed.
                  Gave me full control of the machine with both feets firmly on Terra Firma.
                  Just my solution.

Comment

i have a 69 flh with a corbin two piece and luv it low to the ground and comfey and looks great

Comment

I appreciate all the comments but I have to stress I am wanting to use something that was available in 1966.

Comment

Another avenue of approach is to have a good seat man, Paquette, Worshamcastle, or someone good with Harley seats, build you a period-seat using thinner foam than stock. That's been done often to get the ultimate seat height down, and hardly noticeable.
                        Gerry Lyons #607
                        http://www.37ul.com/
                        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

You only notice it when you're off the bike, not riding it. These bikes are for riding, aren't they?

Comment

Working...
                          X