• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Scout 101 Owners....

Hi,

Whats it like to ride one?
    Road road worthy?
    Suspension?
    Ability to pull a resonable pace up a hill?
    Vibration?
    Steering?
    Any other information to add?
    Mechanical issues?
    Transmission engagement?
    Clutch engagement?
    Mechanical Reliability?
    Any and ALL coments and concerns are welcome and appreciated.

My concern would be; is it resonable to assume that a bike like this is ok to ride on modern roads for 300 plus mile trips rather comfortably (realatively speaking)

Tom
    AMCA #6151

Tom...while I've never actually gotten in the saddle of a 101 I'm told they are one of the best handling Indians ever built. A 37 incher is a little underpowered and should be kept off the big highways but I'm sure you'd enjoy a 45!!! A 101 is on my "someday" wish list... Check with the 101 Association there will be plenty of folks that will vouch for the little Indians......
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory,
      Yeah, that's what I have been reading....I'll look up the 101 Association too.
      Thanks,
      Tom
      Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      Tom...while I've never actually gotten in the saddle of a 101 I'm told they are one of the best handling Indians ever built. A 37 incher is a little underpowered and should be kept off the big highways but I'm sure you'd enjoy a 45!!! A 101 is on my "someday" wish list... Check with the 101 Association there will be plenty of folks that will vouch for the little Indians......
      AMCA #6151

Comment

Tom, Tom here :-) 101's are fantastic machines! I have only ridden with them - dont own one. But do have a 25 and a SS and ride with several 101 owners. They are a great machine and will do it all and do it well. Except for the freeway part, pretty unsafe there. Just the speed's and the brakes, also clinchers - I think on a 28? not sure. You have to git your mind in the antique mode, but if you can do that. The 101's will do the job and make you proud to own one. I have friends with hoped up 101's and they will run freeway no problem, 60 mph - but still not very safe. You know our traffic, I was on my 06 HD today at 75mph and about the slowest thing on the freeway.
        Johnny Eagles and Harry Sucher and Jerry Hartfield and Maxx Bubeck too, I believe have ridden 101's all over the south west. I know Johnny and Harry did, and they loved it. I have ridden my SS 300 mile days for a week at a time, much to my surprise - the scout did it like a modern machine, not a problem at all. Seemed like it liked it, I would bet. You git your mind right and pick your routes careful and a 101 well eat it up and love every minute of it. Pick scenic routes instead of the super highways and enjoy and the 101 well really make you a real fan. I too want one, if I get a chance someday. My little 25 is only a 37 cu incher, I have been riding it a bit - mostly around PV. It's under powerd, but man - already I love it. It handles so nice and is so light and nimble. A 45cu inch 101 is the way to go, but any 101 is a 101. Good luck, let us know what you do.

Comment

Well said Tom!!! If that isn't convincing enough I don't know what is!!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Tom, come to Florida and I will fire up a couple of 101's and we will go for a ride and you can see for yourself! But....we WILL NOT be getting on the Interstate!
            http://laughingindian.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
            A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

I ride a 1931 stroker 101 Scout with recirculating oil pump modification (thanks to Butch Baer's conversion).

I often ride this long distances with no problems. It will easily hold 60 mph, handle better than any other bike I have ever owned or ridden, and has decent brakes. I run modern tires on it.

There is a reason so many knowledgable riders love their 101 Scouts and it has little to do with romance, but more to do with functionality. A great machine!
              Buzz Kanter
              Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
              [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
              [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

I owned a '30, 37" and it always held its own on any road. I topped out at 70 mph. I rode it often for the summer I owned it, nearly as much as my modern bikes. The best way I like to describe riding it is this - all I had to do was 'think' about making a turn and the 101 would glide through it. Never ridden anything like it. There's a reason it's called the best bike ever built! For me, the riding position was very comfortable and the the ride itself was pretty smooth, especially on todays roads. In my experience the two mechanical issues I dealt with were timing/magneto and oil circulation. Oil problems caused a wrist pin to seize, and $$ problems meant I had to send it down the road. As far as the magneto, I cleaned and checked it often, and usually felt a boost in power. Other than those, I had no other mechanical issues and it was reliable. The clutch and transmission were smooth as can be, well, for 1930, but still smooth. I was a member of the 101 Assoc for a while and they put out a great little magazine, and have compiled a wonderful tech manual (I still have mine that came with the bike I bought, I couldn't bear to include it in the sale). I still want another one day, but I need to finish the project 1914 I just got - then find one, and then be able to afford it. Here some shots of my old ride, bought as pictured and a IMG_0099.JPGIMG_0094.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0095.JPGrider from the day I brought it home.

Comment

Tom, I have a 28 101 45 in 100prcnt original condition with over 60k miles on it. A one owner time machine that i bought from the estate of the owner. It is a stamped A scout which means it has aluminum pistons in it. I also have a buncha other bikes, indians and harleys which include 61 and 74 inch machines from the 30s and 40s so i can make a fair comparison of these machines to the 101. I can tell you without a doubt, in my mind anyway, that the 101 rides better than anything I own. All the literature on the 101 is accurate, I can literally ride around rather slow speed turns with no hands and just steer with my legs. At speed, the 101 hums along with no noticeable vibration. Power delivery is traditional flathead- smooth with ample torque. I have a magneto and the wiring is somewhat fragile (original) so I have never ran a battery (I am afraid the wires would catch fire or short out). As such, unfortunately I cannot vouch for the eletrical or charging system (but it is a simple relay and geneator design that should require little maintenance). My mag always runs hot and has never failed me. Easy starting with an exceptionally light kick despite good compression (and thos aluminum pistons!). I have the original tandem and run two up with my son in tow and can run 55-60 mph no problem, including gradual grades. The ergonomics of this machine are also perfect. For example, on my 37 chief the seat geometry to the clutch pedal for me creates a rather awkard clutch "throw" (long in my mind and toe down requires some moderate effort). Despite my 101s wheelbase (longer frame) the clutch throw is perfect (I am literally right on top of the clutch pedal as oppossed to further away at a more horizontal angle on my chief). Band rear brake and front brakes are adequate but I find my 30s and 40s machines are superior in terms of stopping. Power on the 101 45 is adequate, long gears help although I rarely use first unless I am at a complete stop. Clutch and transmission engagement are as smooth as silk, and despite lack of more modern primary chain design. I believe you couldnt ask for a better machine than the 101, it does everything very well and has been reliable. I am just over 6 feet tall. Good luck in your search. Anthony.

Comment

By far the best bike i hv in my garage. My 101 - starting into 2011
                    AMCA Member #16550
                    My Blog

Comment

I tend to agree with Parkerize (Anthony) on this verdict. I've experienced many a 101, and although they are not my favorite, they do hold a soft spot with me. Our Late Great Guru Francis "Cliff" Clifford swore by his trusty 101s. He set a 106 mph speed record in Reno on his back in the day (high altitude there). To the end, Cliff rode his Aluminum Henderson tanked 101 bobber. His wife's is pictured in the Hatfield book "the price guide".
                      When I lived in Scotland, I had the use of an original paint '30 101 that was smuggled out of Czhec. It ran great around town, and on the cobblestone alleys. On the weekends, I was kinda left behind by the Cafe Racer Crowd I was hanging with, expecially on the motorways, but it did a good 60mph with no problem, or oiling issues. Brakes sucked, but brakes are an over-rated luxury anyway.
                      One thing that was surprising in Scotland though. My buddy had a '25 BSA with an "ever lively" Blackburn 350cc engine. That flat tanker would run circles around the 101 in every catagory; be it handling, acceleration, over all speed, and braking.
                      I've built myself a few 101s over the years, including a stroked, recirculating oil job, that beat Max Bubecks. I also have a 101 Chout, set up as a Land Speed Racer. But for some reason, the 101s have never done it for me. They are cool, and way more easier to work on than a Sport Scout, and the 101 enjoys a lot more support and parts supply, but to me they are somewhat over rated. Try a Chief of the same era; they are like a 101 on steroids! My alum. tanked '30 Chief is actually my favorite bike. But it doesn't enjoy the parts availability of the 101.
                      Jus' Sayin'
                      RF.

Comment

What size modern tires are you running? Thanks.

Comment

What size modern tires are you running?

Comment

Working...
                          X