Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Oil Filter Options...opinions sought

Hi all!
    (disclaimer: I have performed a search on this site and did not find my answer.)
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    I want to put an Oil Filter on my Chief.
    there are a couple of options out there that I have found.
    May i ask for any thoughts, comments, concerns or opinions on this subject?Thank you in advance for ALL of your expertise

KI-10605 oil filter
    Filters really do work.
    Features: Kiwi in tank oil filter does not restrict the flow of oil. Returning oil is still clearly visible with the tank cap off. Works on rebuilt and worn oil pumps.

http://www.jerrygreersengineering.co...p?part_id=8388

AMCA #6151

filter

Hi Tom
    Can I ask why you want a filter? I never felt that one was needed. I mean, we got this far without them, right? I have 53,000 hard miles I put on my 46 Chief, most with a passenger, and I never even considered one. My suggestion is to just drop a small magnet in the oil tank. The brass won't hurt anything anyway.
    The return line filters, I think that Geoff Ringle' created, must work, but unless you're ridding it as a full time rider, what will it help?
    Bob Courboin

Comment

Hi ya Bob!
      (Scratching head) "I dunnno?" (Shrugging shoulders)
      I just thought it would be a nice "preventative" to have......
      see this is why I love having this forum to come to and bounce ideas off of those that have more expertise and experience than I and see if they are the right thing to do or not.

Thank you for taking the time to respond....see ya on the road someday!

Tom

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
      Hi Tom
      Can I ask why you want a filter? I never felt that one was needed. I mean, we got this far without them, right? I have 53,000 hard miles I put on my 46 Chief, most with a passenger, and I never even considered one. My suggestion is to just drop a small magnet in the oil tank. The brass won't hurt anything anyway.
      The return line filters, I think that Geoff Ringle' created, must work, but unless you're ridding it as a full time rider, what will it help?
      Bob Courboin
      AMCA #6151

Comment

I thought the same way back in '90. Made about a dozen ss plates with plumbing parts welded in, and a FRAM 3614 filter (smallest one I knew of). Ran a cooler too. Then in 93 the side-car was added, and the bracket wouldn't fit (under the coil), and I skipped it. The bottom end lasted another 9 years, 3 trips to Davenport (475 miles one-way), a lot of miles trying to keep up with the solo's, and a number of amca road runs which was the easiest duty it endured.
        I agree with the magnet in the tank.

Comment

Hi Tom, I used the in tank one when it came out. I think it came in a 3 pack. I used them up, but then switched to the Ringle one that is now sold by Jerry Greer. The in-tank filters claim to fame to me seems to be that it is externally correct looking for a restored bike. What I did not like about the in tank filter was you have to bend the internal oil line back and forth to tuck it out of the way every time you change the filter. How many times is it going to bend before cracking a solder joint in the line or tank? You could leave it in the middle of your cap, I suppose, but then it is kind of in the way of your oil bottle spout at fill up time. The part I really didn't like, is the rubber washer, on the bottom of the in-tank filter, fell off all three filters when I went to change them. If there was metal cointaining sludge at the bottom of the filter element, it dumped out into my tank anyway. The only way to get it out after that is to flush the tank. One well known restorer talked my ear off for an hour that the Ringle filter doesn't work at all, except for gravity (the filter hangs upside down when mounted). This just didn't pass the sniff test with me, and I've used a Ringle filter for about 6 years or so on my Chief. I don't discount the guys that don't run any filter at all. I just finished another bike this year and am not running any filter on it, just magnetic drain plugs. I probably change the oil frequently enough that it doesn't accumulate much anyway. I plan on putting another Ringle filter on it as a "preventative" measure like you did. I'm a beliver in using a high grade racing oil that contains ZDDP also. If you use regular automotive oil, you have to add something like STP oil treatment to get the ZDDP.

Comment

Howdy Chaps,

I made my own about 15-20 years ago for my old dusty trail horse, this 1946 Chief, because not only had the motor not been out of the frame (hasn't yet) it had a then 25 year old top end done by the last Nashville Indian dealer, 20 over on the front, 10 over on the back, for which blowby turned my oil into sludge in short order.

The benefit of having a filter in our application isn't for the metal necessarily, it's to trap as much carbon as possible - which is as abrasive as rubbing compound - on our old machines that can run pretty dirty. On my 440, being a positive pressure system, it begins to whine when the filter starts to clog restricting oil flow. Cutting the Chief filter open reveals contents almost like black paste.

Have used Kiwi's filters on the 48 for 13 years and on a healthy motor, think that's a good compromise between original appearance and function.
            Cheerio,
            Peter
            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I use the Ringle/Greer unit on all my applications; best filtration (a key issue on fresh engines, which make metal during break-in period), more oil capacity, and a cooling effect with the filter exposed. Sure, these are all small improvements, but every little bit helps, and I feel that my junk deserves the best I can give it.
              RF.

Comment

Working...
              X