Balancing crankcase wheels and rods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing crankcase wheels and rods.

Bit of a mystery about balancing. I have a sport scout engine with chief wheels and sport scout rods. What do I do to balance the assembly? Do I do as the manuals say?
    Also as I am a novice at restoring sport scouts, what keeps the engne's crankcase oil from entering the primary chain and clutch case? All I can see is the fit between the primary inner case and the crank's drive gear.

Balancing

SS!

A VirtualIndian mailing list discussion on balancing has been published at http://virtualindian.org/1techflywheel.htm.

In the Theory section, a factor of 71% is cited.
    (If I remember right, a longer stroke would call for a slightly higher factor.)

Since Chief wheels were balanced for heavier pistons and rods, installing Scout hardware will automatically raise the factor significantly. It would not surprise me if they fell into a serviceable range without any re-balancing at all.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-07-2010, 08:55 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Sport Scout View Post
      Bit of a mystery about balancing. I have a sport scout engine with chief wheels and sport scout rods. What do I do to balance the assembly? Do I do as the manuals say?
      Also as I am a novice at restoring sport scouts, what keeps the engne's crankcase oil from entering the primary chain and clutch case? All I can see is the fit between the primary inner case and the crank's drive gear.
      I just did this with my 1939 Indian Sport Scout. I used the Sport Scout rods, KIWI Indian Chief Flywheels and Honda XL 250 pistons. I balanced the flyheels just how the manual says with the rods connected and pistons as well. I drilled a few holes untill I had it blanced perfect on KIWIS balancer.
      The Primary chain and gear box share the same oil, it moves back and forth. The engine oil is seperate and resides in the gas tank and moves from the tank to the case, in a circular motion.
      Mike Dunn
      Vintage German Motorcycles
      www.vintagegermanmotorcycles.com

Comment

Working...
      X