Old Transmission New Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Transmission New Maintenance

I will be running an old transmission on my 1915 Harley for the Motorcycle Cannonball run in six weeks. We looked it over and feel it is strong enough to carry the distance without any rebuilds or parts replacements.

I am curious what others here feel would be a prudent maintenance schedule for this? Fresh oil before we leave Kitty Hawk, check it every night plus drain and replace at the half way mark (about 1600 miles into the ride).

Any recommendations on what oil to use? And does it really make a difference or can I run straight 50 or 60 weight?
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

You might fashion a magnetic oil drain plug. And check the oil carefully that comes out of there at half-way. good luck
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Buzz,

I rode my '15 3-speed twin with Bruce Linsday on his historic ride from Cleveland to Milwaukee for the 100th aniversary. It was about 500 miles. Just a warm up for what you guys are doing. I ran 60 weight Harley oil and never had an issue. Not the best for seal technology in those transmissions so you don't want to get much lighter weight oil than that. I'm blessed with a really nice transmission. Didn't have any issues the entire trip. I checked the level every day but rarely had to add.

Good luck,

Calvin Burnett
      Calvin

Comment

Working...
      X