1938 chief headlamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 chief headlamp

hello, could somebody please tell me what the correct headlamp is for my 1938 chief? does the 38 use the one with the connector block or harness coming out of the bucket? i have had different opinions and wanted to be correct with my build.... thanks, len.
    AMCA #765

1938 chief headlight

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
    hello, could somebody please tell me what the correct headlamp is for my 1938 chief? does the 38 use the one with the connector block or harness coming out of the bucket? i have had different opinions and wanted to be correct with my build.... thanks, len.
    Len, the correct headlight for a 1938 chief is a motolamp. The 1937-38 motolamp is slightly smaller[about a 1/4 inch diameter less] than the 1939 and later. It also uses a different style trim ring/clamp. The 1937-38 uses a snap on ring and has a tab on the bottom with a retaining screw that attaches to the bucket. The later 1939 and up has a pinch clamp style ring retained with a scew on the side that tightens the clamp. Also, the hardest part is the lens. Almost impossible to find, and has sold for as much as $1000.
    All the remanufactured lenses are incorrect, but fit fine. The original has 3797 or 3979, can't remember at the moment, backwards on the inside, and motolamp in raised letters. The repop only says made in USA. The bucket uses the bakelite block with only two wires attaching although there are three holes. No parking lamp in a 1938. Available[and nicely done other than the impossible lens] from Greer. Marty

Comment

Marty- is the 3979 37 only? I thought 38 and early 39 had the also very hard to find lens that just says "Top" and "Motolamp" on the top of the lens? thanks!

Comment

Sorry to jump in, but which years had the parking lamp ?

Comment

37-38 headlight

Originally posted by parkerize View Post
          Marty- is the 3979 37 only? I thought 38 and early 39 had the also very hard to find lens that just says "Top" and "Motolamp" on the top of the lens? thanks!
          The 37-38 headlight and lens is the same.The lens is the extremely rare one with the 3979 on the inside and have never been repopped correctly. 39-40 only have the parking light, but also have gone to the slightly larger diameter headlight and lens [about 1/4 inch], and have motolamp on outside of the lens. These have been repopped, and originals are available. I believe even those repops are missing some minor original data on the lens like casting numbers, but OK otherwise. Marty

Comment

Dear All, I make the 1931-34 Harley Motolamp which was also used by Indian. It has the flat lens and the rim with a diamond at the top for 1931-32, with Indian having 'Indian' stamped in the diamond. For 1933-34 the two manufacturers used identical Motolamps with the same bucket, reflector, focus screw mechanism etc. but a new curved rim and lens. When Harley switched to the Cycleray in 1935, Indian continued with the 1933-34 style, I think for 1935/6. After that my knowledge is fuzzy, but I know the lens changed and the reflector picked up a parking light some time before around 1940, when the later and slightly larger Motolamp was introduced with the rectangular bakelite connector in the body.

Toney Watson had this written down on a scrap of paper, and I'd certainly like to know what happened each year 1935-40 so I can answer questions from my Indian-owning friends. Is there a definitive account we can put together for our members?

Comment

Working...
            X