what transmission is this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what transmission is this ?

are these #'s bogus ? this case was with a box of tranny's i got friday. is tranny jd or vl?

rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

1917-1924 J series gearbox
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

thanks tommo
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Letter prefix.
        D = 1915
        E = 1916
        F = 1917
        G = 1918
        H = 1919
        I = 1920
        J = 1921
        K = 1922
        L = 1923
        M = 1924
        ...bill
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

A bolt-on oil filler spout defines a 1916 H-D tranny case. The filler spout was cast into the case in 1917 and on. Your cover also shows the later clutch release feature that replaced the "fast thread" used earlier. H-D was successfully sued by Eclipse for patent infringment for using the threaded clutch feature. I've always wondered about that lawsuit because the Indian clutch release worm more closely resembled the Eclipse clutch methodology. Unlike H-D, maybe Indian paid a royalty to Eclipse.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

As Bill has indicated the H at the start denotes 1919 but those numbers raise some doubts in my mind.
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I have a similar looking tranny temporarily in my possession... just debating if I should buy it or not. I have no other parts that are this old so... what would I do with it?
              I still might buy it though...(grin).
              Attached Files

Comment

It's a later 1919 trans case. The H denotes 1919 and the A indicates that it was set up with the new clutch introduced in mid 1919. This clutch was used mid 1919 thru 1929 with only a slight change in 1929. It would have been fitted with the new style mainshaft and the kicker cover you have shown. The "A" is in 1919 motor numbers that were fitted with the new clutch too. It is a common misconception that the "A" stands for Army. This is incorrect. I have HD factory literature explaining the meaning of the A.
                Mark Masa
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                X