Small hole worn through crankcase cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small hole worn through crankcase cover

Hi folks! Apparently vibration of the chain guard wore a deep line through the crankcase cover on my '28 B single (see picture). Looking at it from the inside of the cover, it exposed a hole about 1/4" long X 1/64" wide. Can i apply epoxy or jbweld to the area? Will that stand up to the hot oil sloshing around? Should i also affix a small metal plate along with the epoxy/jb weld?

Many thanks!
    Attached Files

If the engine is out of the frame like the pic shows, why not dismantle the engine and get the cases welded up? Its one of the easiest engines to knock apart. No goober fix is permanent enough for me...Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

gotcha - will weld it up, don't want to do it half-assed! Incidentally, do you know what type of metal the cases are made of?

Comment

Aluminum I believe.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

before you have the Aluminum welding done, it will surprise you sometimes the amount of oil in the alum but for certain rhere is oil in the crack. You need to clean it well to avoid poriouse welds. Possibly, wash and blow out with laquer thinner or carb cleaner. Then, even after that, heat it in a barbeque and more oil will leach out. reclean with a solvent again, blow it out and if you can take to a shop like an automatic transmission shop and run it thru thier parts washer boiling hot soap and water. The welder will thank you. there will be oil in the alum after all the years. Once all welded up, I would coat the inside with Glyptal or the like to prevent oil in the alum and also, seals any porosity that could leach out oil when the engine is hot running......There is a fancy cleaner/chemical to soak cases in but the name is too hi tech for me to remember. Maybe some one on the list will let us know what it is......Joe
          Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Don't cook them hotter than 295 F ! Ya don't need remachining to be an additional problem as well.

Comment

I think you should take the time to locate a welder with experience repairing Harley cases. If not properly stress relieved, you may find yourself with a cracked case.
              On this forum, I know Klye (username Koanes) has experience and may be able to give you some guidance.
              You may check into Creekside Welding (advertises in the club mag occasionally).
              I have had cases repaired by Advanced Cycle Machining in Superior, Wi.

The job, when done by a knowledgeable individual, should be fairly straightforward and probably not too expensive.

Tell us what part of the country you are in, and maybe someone will pipe up with a recommendation.
              Ralph

Comment

i'm in long island new york. i had American Cycle Fabricators do some plating work that i was very happy with, anyone know if they do welding? I'd like to give them my business again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
                  i'm in long island new york. i had American Cycle Fabricators do some plating work that i was very happy with, anyone know if they do welding? I'd like to give them my business again.
                  Lincoln
                  if you are coming to Rhinebeck, talk to Dan Henke or Don Spence. they might be able to give you someone close
                  Kevin Valentine 13
                  EX-Chief Judge

Comment

If I recall correctly the chemical used in the washer/cleaners used by the automatic transmission shops is called "oakite" or something like that.

Comment

Welding on cases is an art. Just because somebody knows how to use a heliarc doesn't make them capable of repairing cases. Take you case to an experiences case repair person. An untrained guy with a heliarc can easily destroy your cases.
                      My friend Ron used to heat cases in a oven till they were hot through and through. He would do some weld and put them back in the oven. After the welding was done he would bury the case in a bucket of lye so it would cool very slowly.
                      Last edited by Chris Haynes; 06-11-2010, 11:00 AM.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Don at Headhog did a real nice job on my panhead cases, he replaced both front motor mounts as well as a cracked out oil pump bolt hole and replaced a missing generator cradle. I couldn't tell they weren't original when they came back. It did take a while though...Mike

Comment

case welding

Lincoln,
                          Paul at American Cycle Fab can fix you up right. He does this sort of thing all the time! I have had him work on a couple of knuckle motors for me and he has done big twin flats and pans for other chapter memebers with no complaints.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                          AMCA #12766

Comment

Working...
                          X