Speedo Drive Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Drive Gears

I'm sorting through a bunch of old H-D four speed transmission parts and need some help. Apparently there are two speedometer drive gears used that have seven teeth. 35635-36 & 35635-69. Will these two gears interchange in application? As it is pressed and staked to the cluster gear I want to make sure I don't need to tear a trans back apart because I used the wrong one. If they will not interchange in application, what is the difference between them. Palmers states the -69 has an orange stripe, yet I have a cluster I know came out of an early 70's trans and it has no stripe that I can see while it is on the cluster. Thanks.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Actually there are three different gears and three uniquely compatible drive gears. If I remember right the gears changed in 1961 and again in 68. The 61 era gear on the cluster is marked with a number on the side. The gears are easily pressed on and off, but you need to be carefull to center the gear so the drive gear in the cases lines up for good gear lash.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
      I'm sorting through a bunch of old H-D four speed transmission parts and need some help. Apparently there are two speedometer drive gears used that have seven teeth. 35635-36 & 35635-69. Will these two gears interchange in application?
      No.
      Originally posted by bmh View Post
      As it is pressed and staked to the cluster gear I want to make sure I don't need to tear a trans back apart because I used the wrong one. If they will not interchange in application, what is the difference between them. Palmers states the -69 has an orange stripe, yet I have a cluster I know came out of an early 70's trans and it has no stripe that I can see while it is on the cluster. Thanks.
      I believe the orange stripe was only for parts order parts, not for parts used during factory assembly.

Here's service bulletin 462A with details of the changes through the years ... Perry
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 06-06-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Perry, Thanks for the info. I’m putting two boxes together right now and was just about to post this question. Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Well I guess it's a good thing I remember where that cluster gear came from and know it's the -69 variety. I will change it. I guess it must be the pitch of the teeth that's different. Thanks all.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
          X