80in Connecting Rod Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80in Connecting Rod Question

I've got a set of 80" connecting rods which have the oil slots and holes offset from the top of the wrist pin end. Do they go towards each other? Away from each other? Both facing front or back?

I think I was told towards each other. Know that thing about the shortest pencil is better than the longest memory?

80in connecting rods

I had the same question. I've decided that because the front oil slot is in the horizontal position when the rod is installed the rear slot would have to be pointing toward the front in order for it to be horizontal also. I am going to assemble the rods that way and hope for the best. Tom Wilcock #381

Comment

Tom, that was my thinking also. Well we'll both be right or we'll both be not right. Hey I don't know about you, but I'm never wrong.

Comment

80in connecting rods

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. Tom #381

Comment

I'd like to read some discussion on blade vs fork on front cyl. Seen it both ways.

Comment

80in connecting rods

I wondered the same thing. Harley must have had a reason for using the forked rod at the rear. My original 1913 Indian factory board tracker engine had the forked rod at the rear. This is the only Indian engine I've seen this way. Could have something to do with oiling. Tom Wilcock #381

Comment

I'm persuaded to think of effective bearing support for the harder-working front cylinder. The close proximity of the two rows in blade rod means truing tolerances are more forgiving, in that rod alignment would be more critical for even support in the forked rod. But it would also seem as though the "cupped" portion of the forked rod would more effectively throw oil into the front cyl, ??

Comment

I believe when H-D switched the positions, they also closed the back of the female rod to make it throw oil toward the front cylinder.

I would closely inspect the Chief rods to acertain that there is sufficient angular clearance with the male rod as it goes through the full cycle of movement.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                X