Fair price for a 29 JD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair price for a 29 JD

I need some opinions on a fair price for a 29 JD. Today I was honored by a longtime good friend who is no longer able to ride (losing eyesight). He asked me if I would be interested in his M/C. I would give it a good home. I do not want to steal it as I mentioned he is a good friend and a great person. He has owned, ridden and maintained this bike since the thirties. It has never been restored, but has been repainted some time ago. Mechanically it is pretty sound. It is missing some of the harder to find parts such as; toolbox,headlights,horn,taillight,jiffy stand,coil,carb cover and maybe some other small more minor items. It would also need a new proper exhaust system,proper seat. It has no speedo but he may have it yet although not working. I figure many of you guys out there would have a good estimate of a resonable price and any and all sugestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Cam
    Last edited by camsaure; 05-09-2010, 09:18 AM.

with out photos it is hard to say.if the bike does not have the coil how do you no it's sound? ball park $7,000-12,000 or more if it's mint it's not an easy answer. 1 saw a pair of 29 cylinders sell for $5,000.try to post photos.
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Thanks for a reply. It may be a few days to several days before I can get pics. The bike does have a coil, just not the proper original one. I have known this bike for around 30 some years. It would be what I would call a survivor. Never wrecked,never rusty or neglected. I am positive that with a battery and some gas it would start right up. Don't get me wrong it isn't a restored show bike just one that had been regularly ridden up until a couple years ago. When not ridden it was stored in his heated shop. The owner was excellent lifelong aircraft mechanic. Thanks, Cam

Comment

Cam.

It depends on how important the money is to this guy, and how good of a "lifelong friend" he is.

I have have friends that have wanted "ebay money" for a bike, and others who have given one to me.

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words. Many pictures are better. Correctness is very important, and effects the price greatly.

Comment

couple pics

Here is a couple of pics. They were taken back around 1978 or so, but the bike is virtually unchanged since then. In the future I will get back up there and get some digital closeups and more detailed pics. I believe that the bike was painted last in the sixties.
            Attached Files

Comment

I would pay $13k for it.

Comment

Thanks, That is what I need is an honest assesment of a fair price. Like I said he is a good friend and he has had plenty of offers over the years. I was honored that he thought I would give it a good home. Now at least I have a guideline from where to start on a fair price. I had never before approached him about selling it as I was always sure he would not part with it as it had always been a large part of his life. I do not expect to exploit friendship for a special deal, just need an honest price. Like I mentioned I was honored that he brought it up to me. Also he does have a wife and family. I have admired that motorcycle for years and he does know that. Now I have a guideline on where to start. Thanks, Cam

Comment

You sound like a good guy Cam and it's no wonder your friend offered it to you. There are many factors in acquiring a collectible item and feeling good about your purchase is one of them. I've seen guys pull the rug out from under poor widows and old guys that need to put food on the table. . . . And brag about it. Everybody wants a good deal but that means it should be a deal that has everyone walking away happy. This is a hobby and should have it roots in fun. . . . Unless, your hobby is screwing your fellow man.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    You sound like a good guy Cam and it's no wonder your friend offered it to you. There are many factors in acquiring a collectible item and feeling good about your purchase is one of them. I've seen guys pull the rug out from under poor widows and old guys that need to put food on the table. . . . And brag about it. Everybody wants a good deal but that means it should be a deal that has everyone walking away happy. This is a hobby and should have it roots in fun. . . . Unless, your hobby is screwing your fellow man.
                    Well stated and I fully agree. Not long ago I found a local women selling her son's Shovelhead. The son passed away a few years ago and she had to sell is as she really needed the cash. Some local hot shot made her an offer of less than a quarter of the realistic current market value. I told her what she had and the current market worth. She appreciated it and sold it to me and we both walked away happy.

Made me feel good to get a nice machine and to help her too.
                    Last edited by Buzz Kanter; 05-30-2010, 06:50 PM.
                    Buzz Kanter
                    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

The best deal is the one that both parties agree with.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Eric and Buzz, the owner was a straight shooter, so it would be easy to be straight up with him. Unfortunately I just recieved news in the evening of the 28th that he had passed away late evening on the 25th. I just got back from his funeral this afternoon. I guess I will now be dealing with his wife and daughter, they too are great people. Many of his friends both from motorcycles and airplanes attended, many I knew and some I didn't. Art was just a couple months short of his 85th birthday. During WWII he served in the 493rd bomb group862nd squadron. He survived one bailout and one crash shortly after takeoff in B17's, in which crewmates were lost as well as many other harrowing experiences. He started as a waist gunner, then later in the ball turret,even though he was too large for that position. It was an understandably hard position to fill. He volunteered to do it, a testament to his character. After the war he married and raised a family. One amusing story I was told today by one of his friends was about his 64 Impala SS convertible that he had bought new(it still looks like new). The well to do dealer that he bought it from wanted it badly and offered him a good sum for it. He told the dealer that he would never get it, as he is still waiting for the dealer to honor the warrenty on it. Apparently the dealer once refused to honor the warrenty on something when it was new. LOL, apparently what goes around comes around. Art will be missed. Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camsaure View Post
                          Here is a couple of pics. They were taken back around 1978 or so, but the bike is virtually unchanged since then. In the future I will get back up there and get some digital closeups and more detailed pics. I believe that the bike was painted last in the sixties.
                          Amazing just to see the pictures of this buty. America is the land where dreams comes true. I wish you all luck with the bike, and donīt forget to give your old friend a ride now and then.
                          S . A . T . C . A
                          Sweden Antique Twin Cam Association
                          AMCA: 17582

Comment

Working...
                          X