Repop turn signal switches too tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repop turn signal switches too tight

I bought some repop (dont' shoot me please) handlebar switches for turn signals and headlight bright/dim. I bought from Vtwin, and they have cloth covered wires (so they look good..).

But when you install, them, and they fit the curve of hte handlebar correctly and nicely, they must compress against the handlebar on the inside of the switch, making the switch difficult to operate, and only one side of the switch remains functional. I thought it was a fluke and then I loosened them both up and they work fine...tighten again and same problem.

I had one stock switch and one old repop before I started this process, and I may get them re-chromed (ouch) this winter, but what now? I thought about trying to shim them just a bit using gasket material under the switch??

Any thought or anyone ever have this issue?

fitment is on a '66 FLH

You can keep playing with it until it is satisfactory at best. But there is nothing like the real deal. I send the originals out to get chrome plated just for that reason, you won't be disappointed in the long run.
    1959 XLCH

Comment

Generally speaking: in the repop, replica or faithful reproduction market you can't forget, you get exactly what you pay for. Orig. switch housings are reasonably priced.

Dave

Comment

Dave,
        I guess I never thought about looking for original housings. I found original (complete) horn and starter button assemblies but didn't find OEM switches.

Where can I buy the (chrome) housings?

Steve

Comment

Before you give up on the repop, you might want to swap the repop guts into your old housing and see if the problem is the same. If the problem moves to the original housing, your problem may be the internal wire block being too thick, the switch lever too fat, the plunger spring too long, or some other obstruction.

If it is the wire block and it cannot be trimmed, it is a fairly simple matter to unsolder it and solder in an original.

On chrome covers, and this might apply to Tedd's, Dixie took several thousand original o.d. switch covers and had them chrome plated. They pass for original factory chrome. Dixie & Tedd deal directly with one another. Your "repop" switch might have an original cover via Dixie and the problem might lie within the switch and not the cover.
          Bruce Palmer III
          AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

Thanks, but I'll check all of that... Don't know Dixie or Tedd (guess i'm not long enough in our "community" yet. Where can i buy the original guts (if that's the problem) or the covers, if it turns out to be the cover?

Comment

The last time I was at Dixie I found a box, that was about four feet square, filled to the brim with NOS OD painted switch covers. Next to it was another same sized box with freshly painted covers. I didn't find any of the inside parts. But then again it would take weeks to go thru the Dixie building.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The problem is likely the ears on the underside are a hint too big (see arrows in attached photo). It should be no big deal to pop the block out (watch for the spring and contact!) and file the ears slightly until the switch works properly when snugly mounted ... Perry
                Attached Files

Comment

I picked up a set of inline bars complete with switches and wiring from VTwin (Tedd's) and I had the same issue with the switch so I'm interested in hearing the remedy. I haven't put them on the bike yet, but I've backed out the retaining screws in order to accommodate the tight fit and it responds better. I was going to install some thin paper gaskets in order to provide some additional clearance but I'll check the items mentioned above too.
                  Scott
                  AMCA# 13993

Comment

Working...
                  X