Saddlebag/Tourpack color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddlebag/Tourpack color

I'm getting ready to paint the bags on my '68 FLH. I have a small tourpack with original gelcoat that is Birch White, but I don't know the year of it. I see sixties shovelheads with White luggage but it doesn't look quite right to me. The original color literature I have makes the bags look whiter than Birch White but not exactly pure white. Help, anybody?

They aren't supposed to deduct for accessories which saddlebags are unless they detract from the overall bike. My 99.75 pt original 68 has bags that are slightly off white. Are they Birch White?? Maybe. But they are NOT pure white. Maybe check with "Color Rite"on the web. D.A.Bagin #3166
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Didn't think those items were painted til the late 70's or so. Thought that was the color of the gel coat on the fiberglass. The repair section in my early 70's service manual seems to confirm this by stating that repairs are to be made with the same color gel coat as the part.
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks fellas,

I know that the bags and tourpack should be gelcoat. The bags I have were sanded down and painted black long before they got to me, so I have to go with paint again. I'll check color rite to see what they say.

Comment

Maybe check with a local marina or boat dealer. Or try a bathroom fixture repair person. They sometimes re-gel-coat boats and bath-tubs so they may be able to help you. D.A.Bagin #3166
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I never thought of that but yeah, we use a place called Tub Doctor at work to repair fiberglass tubs that get damaged during construction. I seem to think they may be a nation wide chain, but I am not sure. But a few calls to those listed under bathtub repair could be very worthwile.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
            X