1932 Indian 4 Painted Parts and Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1932 Indian 4 Painted Parts and Header

Can anyone tell me the correct paint scheme, IE; The frame , fenders painted to match, but are the tool box-tail light-battery box-headlight-Ign.switch-wheels- and lastly the seat pan painted black, or?---- The headers that Indian produced , both aluminum and iron-- Question; are the holes the same spacing on these or did the cylinders change the dimentions? Can the headers be interchanged? What year did the switch happen from aluminim to iron? Any help would be greatly appreciated. MIke Hashem # 722

Here are a couple of pictures of my 32 Four. Hope it helps.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TJK; 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM. Reason: add attachments

Comment

1932 four

To the best of my knowledge, tool box and battery box matches bike. Headlight,tailight,saddle,wheels and dash panel are black. I think the switch from aluminum header to iron was 1931- alum. 1932-iron.but with almost all Indian practices they tried to use up left over parts, so ther may be a few "blended" ones out there. I don't think there is a definitive answer unless someone else knows better than me. I'm more a 1930 model guy.Brian.

Comment

Exhuast manifold

I do know that the exhaust manifold is also physically different. I had a 32 iron porcelin manifold that came with my 29 but the ports are larger so the correxponding bolts are further apart. So for my 29 I had to get an aluminum manifold with smaller ports and narrower bolt spacing. 32 bolt spacing is wider then the earlier manifold (larger ports). Ace Four manifolds were cast iron and will fit 1928 to 30 and maybe includes 31. There was a lot of changes in 31 but I havent looked up manifold as yet. I do know 28-29 only offered one manifold, that being aluminum...Joe
        Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

1932 Indian 4 Painted parts and header

The 1928-29 Indian 4 cylinder had 1 7/8" spacing for the exhaust flange bolts. The parts book showing changes on the 1931 Indian 4 does not show a different cylinder than the earlier models so it can be assumed the exhaust ports were the same size. The 1932 Indian 4 (403) parts book shows a different cylinder. It had larger ports with 2" spacing for the exhaust flange bolts. This might have been introduced during the 1931 season but does not show up in parts books. The 402 sales catalogue shows a "new enlarged aluminum muffler and exhaust manifold". There is no mention of the cylinder exhaust ports being enlarged so why was the exhaust manifold enlarged? Tom Wilcock #381

Comment

Manifold.

Tom, I believe the enlarged exhaust/manifold refers to the enlarged tailpipe mid 29 on 402. It is shown in the bullen caled "14 changes to the 402". It meant the manifold exhaust pipe opening is now 1-1/2 inches from 1-1/4 inches to accomodate the larger tail pipe only. Ports and cylinders remained unchanged till like you say, 1932. ...The factory was trying to get rid of heat and backpressure on these ole tractor engines.ha ha.....Joe
            Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Your Spak Cable Loom

Originally posted by TJK View Post
              Here are a couple of pictures of my 32 Four. Hope it helps.
              TJK; Please tell me, what is your spark cable loom made of? I dont have one on my four, need one. Is it just a flatened steel tube or maybe bakelite? does anyone repop them/..Thanks...Joe
              Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Hey Joe, I believe they were bakalite. Elmer Lower sold me a repro he makes out of some kind of heat resistant material. It's black and he drills out the material to run your wires through it. He sells it with the mounting bracket for I think it was around $70.00. Tom Fickau makes them too but not the same as Elmers, but Tom has been recalled to active duty in the service, so I doubt it's available. Elmer is in PA. and runs ads in our club magazine. Brian.

Comment

Brian: Thank you very much for that info. I recall asking Tom about them some years back, and I dont think he made them back then. I just recieved some other parts from Tom before him being called out to duty. Will will follow up on the Elmer Lower lead from you which I surely apreciate and thanks again...Joe
                  Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Working...
                  X