Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "outside looking in"

Something I'd like to see:
    A judged bike's owner volunteers his judging report (with pix) for a virtual "autopsy", to be shown here, on the forum. A jr 2nd bike would show enough to chew on, perhaps the winner's circle bikes would show us very little. The experience could help rookie judges or non-judges get educated, help builders more accurately build, could help learn about the "other brand", and ultimately could help anybody with respect to the club's mission statement.
    Could also reduce the "fear of the un-known", for those of us who have never been there on the autopsy table.

What's to hide?

cyber-judging?

would that be "cyber-judging"??

practice-pad for those harley able's?

Comment

Sounds like it would spark some interesting debate. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
        Sounds like it would spark some interesting debate. Paps
        See, the education, the detail knowledge is what I'm interested in. I'm assembling parts bikes because a complete basket is rare or un-affordable imo. So when I'm not sure what fits what I have to ask, and many are not sure, and photos aren't plentiful, and sales literature is not always accurate, ... so a few project cases could help.

Comment

Kinda like a what-fits-what via the internet. Think it could definitely help those who intend to restore a bike and avoid mistakes others may have made.

Comment

Just go to the judges breakfast on Sunday morning at 8:00 AM. The best way to learn is by being there in front of the bike. It gives a much clearer picture and you can ask questions. I hope that if you want to have your bike judged you would volunteer to judge. It always helps out and you will learn about your machine from the marque experts. The system works with volunteer support, I am always recruiting for Wauseon. Thanks for giving it some thought.
            Denise

Comment

Originally posted by servicardenise View Post
              Just go to the judges breakfast on Sunday morning at 8:00 AM. The best way to learn is by being there in front of the bike. It gives a much clearer picture and you can ask questions. I hope that if you want to have your bike judged you would volunteer to judge. It always helps out and you will learn about your machine from the marque experts. The system works with volunteer support, I am always recruiting for Wauseon. Thanks for giving it some thought.
              Denise
              Thanks for your offer, but I want it HERE! NOW! (cry-baby screaming emoticon) ... no seriously, some of us are lucky to make it to one meet a year, and it might not be a big one that includes our project in the field. And I know that judges get pretty occupied.

I'll confess, I thought of this while reviewing mdunn's 39 sport scout pix in another thread. He's building a runner, of course, but such an example would serve well, imo. If my project were more complete I'd have it on the table with pix, and asking questions like, "how many points for this, or that?" or "didn't they use this hub or that frame in late 40?" .. so you see, I really believe that this could help me do the job correctly, with fewer mistakes along the way. If I get it "wrong", it's going to stay that way for a while.

Comment

Point well taken, one cannot have enough resources to do the job correctly.
                Denise

Comment

I do agree there should be some form of cyber-judging, AMCA sanctioned or not. Lots of detailed pictures and comments by proven sources could easily be archived for publicly available on the net.

Comment

With proper documentation along with the correct parts finish and application...what could it hurt ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                      With proper documentation along with the correct parts finish and application...what could it hurt ?
                      People's feelings?

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Let's try this: We normally have a "judging class" just before we do our actual judging on Sunday. That gives us very little time for discussion, and no time for teaching apprentice judges, who end up with marginal on-the-job training.
                        Could we schedule a judging class, complete with a few "volunteer" bikes, for Friday or Saturday, or even Thursday evening? We could use it to sharpen our skills, learn from each other, and train apprentices.
                        Just an idea.

Comment

Judging class

For the last 2 Dixon events, we have done just that. We conducted a seminar each day of the meet, and we went over a bike to boot! I believe that Steve Dawdy has done a few of these at some of the other meets as well, and will be conducting a discussion on the Competition Machines at Wauseon. I foresee more of these type discussions in the future, as well as formal Judging Seminars.

RF
                          Nat'l Deputy Judge

Comment

We have been doing this for years. At quite a few of the judging seminars.

That is also why I almost always had several apprentices with me during the judging. That's why it was hard to have a 10 or 15 minute time limit on judging because of trying to train apprentices and help field judges to hone thier skills. In fact, this year, I was planning on attending every meet to have this type of a seminar.

Robin Markey

Comment

Robin and All,

Is the system all about individual's memory?

Vocal tradition?

Sorry for more questions.
                              I am not the only one who does not understand.

Respectfully,.. Don't take it personal,

...Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X