Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter problem

Hello Gentlemen,

Long time no "see"! It took a while moving back from Tokyo to Liechtenstein, but now is finally done!

This means also, after two years, bringing a 1970 FLH back to life...

I have basically two questions:

a) I used this 70FLH rarely but the electrical starter has gradually shown more and more the problem of turning but not engaging the primary. Used to be 50/50%, but nowadays, 99% of the cases I press the starter button and a loud "machine gun" noise is the result. Obviously the engine does not start at all... I was hoping there are some easy checks to do before the "bring-down-and-disassemble-every-gear" solution! Can you recommend something ideas for easy-fix?

b) Being the first real spring day here in the Alps, I didn't give up and started to kick it! I put a new & charged battery one week ago, and even with 2 years old fuel I was able to start it with almost little trouble. But was not the case today. I kick it 700 times and will feel it tomorrow! Some few "pofs" but nothing closer to a start. Choke, no choke, throttle closed, mid, wide open. Battery was there since was able to loudly "machine gun" at some few tries after my right leg was clinically dead! Are Shovels generally harder to kick-start compared to Knucks and Pans with Linkerts? It is the toughest one by far! Is a 2 years old fuel a mess? Could this be the problem?

Many thanks to all as usual.

Happy springtime!

Chris.

First thing I would check is the battery.

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

If the noise is really loud, check for pinion gear to ring gear engagement. If this is the case, try a new solenoid assembly unless the pinion gear or ring gear shows excessive tooth wear. Pa

Comment

either your solenoid is getting weak (probably) or the shaft that the yoke pivots on is badly worn. both are easy fixes

Comment

Many thanks, guys! I will for sure star there.

What about the fuel? Does 2-3 years kills it?

Thanxs and kind regards,

Chris.

Comment

6 months kills it with todays fuel with ethanaol in it. even stabil doesnt help much

Comment

Thanxs to all!

I will drain the fuel, retank, recharge the battery and give a new try with the kicker!

For the electric starter I will check the manuals to understand the easiest way to reach the "L" lever that links the solenoid to the sprocket...

Comment

one of the oldest tricks in the book is when your starter is getting weak, push the starter button and push down the kick start pedal at the same time

Comment

Really?!? And what is the effect of such a thing? Does this help to fully engage the sprocket of the electric starter?

An the next question, flathappy, is how should I exactly operate the kicker for this? Hard? Soft? Full stroke? Partial stroke just to engage?

Comment

what i do is push the kicker over and get it just past the compression stroke---this gives the electric starter maximum advantage because it is starting to turn the motor on the exhaust stroke---then push the kicker just enough so you can feel it start to engage and push down on it at the same time you push the electric starter button. its sort of an acquired skill to co-ordinate the two but you'll get the feel of it. now don't expect you can do this forever but it will work in a pinch with a low battery and or weak starter. best is always to do the repairs needed as soon as possible. it'll get you off the side of the road

Comment

I had the same problem and noise on my 1967 shovel.Replaced the bendix starter drive and noise is gone and starter works fine.

Comment

I second the opinion on the bendix drive. We replaced hundreds back in the 70s and 80s. The most common cause of bendix death is the advance weights in nose cone becoming seized in the full advance position. Upon inspection, you may find the springs twisted into curls and the pivot holes in weights all slotted out. Make any necessary repairs to these items as part of any bendix replacement.
                        VPH-D

Comment

Gentlemen! From all the given recommendations, I got it clear that the not very reliable bendix starter drive is under suspect for my slipping ("machine gun") e-starter...

Anyhow, I was curious about the following:

After a couple of days kick-starting and riding this old 70FLH some few kilometers, I realize that the e-starter engages properly more and more often!

Which could be diagnosis behind this behavior?

Many thanks!

Chris!

Comment

Loosened up grud / dirt, and stronger battery charge maybe.

Comment

Working...
                            X