Powerplus Mag Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerplus Mag Installation

This is my first post so if I'm doing it wrong chalk it up to my inexperience and feel free to offer constructive suggestions.

I have a 1917 Powerplus that I aquired in running condition a number of years ago. At the time I bought it it was running on a Splitdorf Mag-Dynamo. A Dixie Model H 42 degree mag came with the bike. I was told by the seller that the Splitdorf had some potential long term use problems and that the bike had run well on the Dixie before he put on the Splitdorf. He told me that if I ever needed to re-install the Dixie that the timing needed to be "one tooth off" of where the Splitdorf was set.

Well the Splitdorf failed about 12 years ago and the bike was pushed into the corner. Now that I'm retired I want to get it running again. When removing the cam cover to replace the Splitdorf the timing gears fell out even though I was trying really hard to aviod that. I'm ready to install the Dixie (it has good spark) but I'm not sure where to set the timing mark. So after this long story my questions are:
    1. Does it surprise anyone that the timing would be different for the two mags (sorry I don't have the model number of the Splitdorf - it's off at the repair shop).
    2. What distance below TDC on the conpression stroke of the front piston should the mag fire (at full advance)? Is this the correct way to time the mag if you don't want to trust the marks on the gears?

Slamiste.....Timing should be set on the #1 cylinder which is actually the rear one.
    Distance should be 9/32 before top dead center. I'm quoting out of the Construction & Maintence Military Manual for 1917 & 1918...I can't understand why the two mags would have different timing...
    I got a copy of the maintence manual from George Yarocki, He writes the Retrospect Column in the AMCA Mag. He sells copys of orig. literature. The full name of the manual is "Construction and Maintence of Indian Motorcycles, 1917-1918 Military Models". The manual is packed full of information........Rod

Comment

Many thanks Rod. I'll order a copy of the manual this week and set about installing the mag. Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Steve, maybe the tooth difference has to do with the gear. Is it the same gear for both mags? On my little Miami there are no timing marks on the gears and when I took the mag off to rebuild I didn't mark them. It wasn't too bad to figure out to fire just before TDC. You should be able to do the same on the number 1 cylinder of course. You should be able to get within 1 tooth + or -. Of course it's a pain to tear it apart the change. I wish all my old bikes had mags! I hate to read manuals! In my opinion Indian were better bikes up into the 30's and then we all know what came out then, OHV's and 4 speeds for some bikes that is. From then on the Indian riders got a good look at the Harley license plate holders...........
        Louie
        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

It lives

I finally dicided to put the PowerPlus back on the road with the Dixie mag. The guy who has the Splittdoft Mag Dyno for repair is in no hurry to "get er done". I'm happy to report that I simply lined up the timing makes on the gears and it runs fine. I'll be at Wauseon in the OVC Chapter camping area (near the judging field) if any of you want to stop by and chat. Simply look for one ugly old Powerplus, plus one ugly old dude/rider and let's share some stories!

Comment

Glad you got it running, Steve, I can't remember see it before. But will miss everyone at Wauseon, can't make it this year. Going to Daytona for a week on the beach for our anniversary (28th). Have fun!
            Louie
            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
            X