Decal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal Question

A very knowledgeable antique bike collector advised me that my bike was missing a decal. The XLCH in the manual has this decal, as does the one in an article from a 1970 magazine, as does the one in the accessories catalog. I spoke to the vintage bike "expert" at HD, who said that this decal was not standard and may have only been used on the first original bikes and then scrapped. I was told by 2 people that you cant always trust what the guy at HD says about stuff like this. Anyway, I found the decal, and put it on the bike. Since then, one or two people have seen it and said "I dont remember that decal being on the sportster back when I had one."

So I was hoping to get a consensus here. Here are some pics of the bike with the decal. What do you guys think? Does it belong there?

The parts books say 61768-70 transfer is used on 1970 XLCH models only. The bike should have the decal.
    VPH-D

Comment

I worked for Nassau County (New York) Harley Davidson in 1970 and we unboxed more than 90 Sportsters that year. I never saw one with that decal. I'm not saying that the others are wrong, but the decal may have been a very limited, beginning-of-the-year feature. By the way - I own a 1970 XLH but its not nearly as restored as yours (Yet) - VERY nice bike !!
      Last edited by billpedalino; 03-07-2010, 09:17 AM.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
        I worked for Nassau County (New York) Harley Davidson in 1970 and we unboxed more than 90 Sportsters that year. I never saw one with that decal. I'm not saying that the others are wrong, but the decal may have been a very limited, beginning-of-the-year feature. By the way - I own a 1970 XLH but its not nearly as restored as yours (Yet) - VERY nice bike !!
        Thanks guys. It's still somewhat of a mystery then.

BTW, it's not restored...unless you count the sticker.

Comment

Here is what is shown in the 1970 sales brochure.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris's brochure certainly shows that it was there - at least on some machines - like the boat-tail shown. I dug out my 1970 sales brochure and its the same as Chris's . I'm thinking it was a very early feature. This would explain the decal in the sales brochure. As we all know, inconsistancy was often common througout the production runs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

But seriously, I would think that in judging, a case can be made for the optional use of the decal.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Woudn't ya love to find one of thiose early 18" rear tires !
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Woudn't ya love to find one of thiose early 18" rear tires !
                These are the good years that came from the factory. I am always a little nervous about them when I ride the bike.

Comment

Chris's brochure certainly shows that it was there - at least on some machines - like the boat-tail shown. I dug out my 1970 sales brochure and its the same as Chris's . I'm thinking it was a very early feature. This would explain the decal in the sales brochure. As we all know, inconsistancy was often common througout the production runs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

But seriously, I would think that in judging, a case can be made for the optional use of the decal.
                  Someone from another board thinks it is possible the decal only came on the boat tail models. What do you think, Chris?
                  Last edited by Sandman; 03-07-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                    Someone from another board thinks it is possible the decal only came on the boat tail models. What do you think, Chris?
                    I think it is highly unlikely that they did the same tank two different ways. By belief is they all had them until they were dropped.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

My 1970 owners manual shows the decal on the XLCH. As mentioned, brochures and manuals
                      are known to be inaccurate, being pre-model year printed and all.
                      VPH-D

Comment

Could it have been like the little "AMF" decals used on 71 superglides? These were supplied and the dealer was asked to apply them.
                        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                          If you look closely at picture #3 in the brochure, you can see the edge of the decal on the non boat tail model.
                          Bob Selph
                          1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                          1940 Sport Scout
                          AMCA#15215

Comment

Working...
                          X