Chewing Gum foil as temp points fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewing Gum foil as temp points fix

I have heard that a piece of chewing gum tinfoil can serve as a temporary fix for a points-related problem. Is this so, and if so, anything to worry about? Also, if so, how would I use the foil ... simply wrap one of the points? Is sanding the points recommended? I assume it would just be better just to carry an extra set of points with you? Thanks.
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590

i think someone has confused it with a temporary fix for a blown fuse. i have wrapped a blown fuse with a foil wrapper to get me home before but i don't recommend you do it just in case you burn up your wiring

Comment

Knuk and flat I got a funny story for ya. Two guys in our club were heading back into Manhattan from jersey in the late seventies. Into the Holland tunnel they go. Mikey’s Knucklehead had an intermittent short which he was to lazy to find and fix (He had a lot of thinks on that bike that he was to lazy to fix but that’s another story for another day). Shortly after entering the tunnel (You know it!) He blew the fuse. After waiting for about five minutes, here comes the special short tunnel tow truck. They were going to sling this bike up and leave it swinging. At just that moment Mike looks down and spots a hard pack foil wrapper. He wrapped the fuse and the beast came to life and out of the tunnel they went. Did he ever fix the short? Knowing Mike. No way but it’s still a great story in a million about our club to tell. Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks for the input ... I am pretty sure I heard the fix related to points, but now I have to seek out the guy that told me that ... haven't seen him in a while. Anyway, if it is only for a fuse fix, then it's just as easy to carry an extra fuse than a pack of chewing gum ... but if it's points, it may make sense to pack a small piece of tin foil or chewing gum wrapper (or maybe just an extra set of points). Thanks again, and if anyone else can shed some light, let me know.
        Vic Ephrem
        AMCA #2590

Comment

Never heard of the tin foil solution but I have set my points by using the thickness of a paper matchbook cover. Guess that quick-fix is not readily available much anymore.

Comment

Bob, that was a great story. I love to hear stuff like this, it shows how creative you can be in a pinch.
            Denise

Comment

Working...
            X