66-71 FL tank emblems (yellow?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66-71 FL tank emblems (yellow?)

Bought a repro set of tank emblems from VTwin and the there is the painted portion that is just above and below the Harley name plate (see link for pic). The ones I bought have a yellowish tint (instead of Birch White as the tank would have).. My mechanic and parts guy (a good old school guy) says "yep, that's correct".. Having been to lots of shows and events and paying close attention to my vintage, I never noticed any that looked yellow. Maybe I didn't look close enough and maybe this is correct, but I would swore all the ones I've seen matched the white insert in the tank?

the pic attched is just for reference for the type of emblem i'm talking about.

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk...ctra_glide.jpg

These look white to me ... Perry
    Attached Files

Comment

I agree.. mine look wrong. I don't know why my mechanic thinks they are correct? I will print off your pic and show it to him. Wonder if it is still a vaild HD number? I never thought about checking with HD for a new pair.. I'll do that on monday.

Comment

The -66 part number has been obsolete since the mid 70s. The reproduction emblems all seem to use some sort of yellow color on them which is incorrect.
        VPH-D

Comment

Sunlight turns them white.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Silly Koreans used the ivory from the 65 emblems in top and bottom of the repops. So you either repaint that part white or find a nice set of originals.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Chris..
              will the sunlilght really turn them white or are you pulling my leg? I have a pair that was on the bike, and have no way of knowing if they're stock or 20 year old repops? I could clean, polish and repaint them, but not knowing if they were original, i thought a good set of repops would be fine.. what would you do? and how would i know if mine are HD OEM?

Comment

John Pierce supplied the CORRECT red paint for my '47 tank emblems. If anyone has the correct color - it's John.
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

They were white from the get go. I know this pic is a little out of focus, but it's all I could find without taking something out of a frame to scan it. This is the factory's 71 FX. You can still see the emblems are brighter than the birch white on the tanks.

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

The repop emblems I have seen are the wrong color in the garage and in the sun. They really aren't that bad, I'd just paint them.
                    VPH-D

Comment

Find an old HD GolfCart of that era they are the same !! I still have a few used pair left...somewhere in the pile

Comment

The real badges are abundant and fairly inexpensive. If you're concerned about color, buy some real ones.

Comment

How do you know real from old repop... I have the ones that came off the bike when i bought it.. and they are scuffed, etc.. but how do I know (or do I care) if they're OEM or repop? Some of the paint is missing on my emblems but they could be salvaged.

Comment

The factory emblems say "Fox" on the backside.
                            VPH-D

Comment

Thanks VP!!

Comment

Working...
                              X