Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80cu inch J

Herb.
    I tried to contact you by the private message service on this forum but it would not take my message, so I am using this open forum.
    In your recent article in our magazine titled “Cracking the H-D Code” You mentioned a rare 80 cu inch option available in 1929 for the JDH you stated that the designation for this was an L at the end of the serial number.
    I own a 1929JDL motor that has an L after the motor number. Having read your article I compared the flywheels on this motor with those of another 29J only to find that they were different castings, the distance between the centre of the pinion shaft and the crank pin is 2 and 1/8 inches giving a stroke of 4 ¼ inches the stroke for a 74 cu inch JD should be 4 inches .The fly wheels look like they are OEM Harley.
    Was the 80 cu inch option also available on JDLs ?
    Any information you can let me have on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Any input from other forum members would also be appreciated.

Regards Pete Reeves 860

Originally posted by pete reeves View Post
    Herb.
    I tried to contact you by the private message service on this forum but it would not take my message, so I am using this open forum.
    In your recent article in our magazine titled “Cracking the H-D Code” You mentioned a rare 80 cu inch option available in 1929 for the JDH you stated that the designation for this was an L at the end of the serial number.
    I own a 1929JDL motor that has an L after the motor number. Having read your article I compared the flywheels on this motor with those of another 29J only to find that they were different castings, the distance between the centre of the pinion shaft and the crank pin is 2 and 1/8 inches giving a stroke of 4 ¼ inches the stroke for a 74 cu inch JD should be 4 inches .The fly wheels look like they are OEM Harley.
    Was the 80 cu inch option also available on JDLs ?
    Any information you can let me have on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Any input from other forum members would also be appreciated.

Regards Pete Reeves 860
    I just saw this forum message today. Here's basically what I told Pete back then via PM:

Yes, two 80-inch options are listed for 1929, including the one mentioned in the article and your 29JDL.

Here is the factory data for your motor:

Model No. = "29JD"
    Motor Equipped = "80 ci Motor -- 4-1/4" Stroke"
    Motor No. = "29JDL-1000L"
    Motor Assembly No. = RA825JD

Notice that it seems if you wanted this option, you bought it under the "29JD" model designation altho the motor number would read JDL + "L". Sneaky, eh?
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Manuals and technical data?

This is interesting information. Where can i find and buy service manuals and similar technical data about the Harley pocket valve engines and all different models?

If any one can help me finding this literature i will be very happy.

Valand
      S . A . T . C . A
      Sweden Antique Twin Cam Association
      AMCA: 17582

Comment

I scanned in a page giving Model information; from the front of the 1922 to 1928 Spare Parts manual.
        http://www.97330.com/Models_list.jpg

Boon has the booklets. You’ll want to download and SAVE the .pdf file off of this page; manuals and other reprints start on page 2. ...bill
        http://www.nosparts.com/
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Working...
        X