Waverley Single Racer From Jefferson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waverley Single Racer From Jefferson

Here is a close up from one of my yardlongs. Don't know the location but it is kinda neat that the participants and their home towns are named. To the left of Comstock on the Waverley is none other than X factory man Goudy.

Here's the whole thing
    [img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4280169828_426da1b033_b.jpg[img]

Comment

forgot the slash

Comment

That's a great photo Barry! It would be interesting to figure out where it was shot at. It would also be real interesting to know how the Jefferson placed, what with the little single up against all those twins!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Excellent photo!

Wait 'till Dick Werner (pem) see this if he hasn't already.

With all the names it shouldn't be too tough to figure what race this is. Goudy (Carl or Bill?) is a good marker name. We have documented many area races that the Waverley-PEM-Jefferson took part in. I have many of them but Dick probably has even more.

Cory, it is possible the Jefferson single beat the twins. We know the speedy little overhead single did beat the twins more than once on area horse tracks. Too bad the Jefferson never made the famous races like Dodge City or the big board tracks events. That would have been VERY cool.

Barry, where'd you find this photo? It's nice!
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======
          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I got this photo from John Giorno in the late 1980's in Kenosha. I sold the original but had a pro copy made before that which is what you are looking at. I found it very interesting with the numbers and participant's Ids.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
              I got this photo from John Giorno in the late 1980's in Kenosha. I sold the original but had a pro copy made before that which is what you are looking at. I found it very interesting with the numbers and participant's Ids.
              Yes, Giorno was quite the dedicated collector. He did research in Cambridge & Jefferson for Ted Hodgson (sic) way back, but I don't think it was ever published in the Club mag.

John told me (I think it was him) that he heard a story from old timers that in the Kenzler Hotel in Cambridge there was a blueprint drawing of the K-W motorcycle hanging up on display for many years. Old 100 year old guy told me that PEM meant "Push Every Mile" and to go looking around the Cambridge area tobacco sheds because a group of Norwegian farmers rode Jeffersons and came into town and raised hell.

By the number of Joliet and Rockford names, my guess is that this race took place at Rockford, Ill. I think there were some good sized races there. Just a guess without looking. Dick might know.
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

I'm really glad you started this thread Barry. I can't get enough talk on the Waverley/Jefferson subject lately.

Herb, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that little Jefferson won that race. Did you ever go take a look around those old tobacco sheds?

Here's some 1913 race results from north of the border. The first listing is from the Sept. 1913 Canadian championships and the second is an endurance event.

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Here's a link that contains the attributes of the "New Jefferson"........ interesting...
                  http://www.ozebook.com/azn/jefferson.htm I'm going to have to dig through my back issues and re-read the article on Perry Mack that was written by pem...........
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

If I Lived In Wisconsin I'd Be Checking Out The Comstock Family In Jefferson! Maybe They Have A Barn!

Comment

Barry, I already did that and I assume Herb did too. I traced the Comstock family and talked
                      to family with no luck. ANOTHER DEAD END!

Dick

Comment

Hey Cory, check this out. What a small world. These photos are Jeff Haberman's. The sidecar photo was taken in front of the Waverley factory. Only known photo of the factory.

Dick
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                          Excellent photo!

Wait 'till Dick Werner (pem) see this if he hasn't already.

With all the names it shouldn't be too tough to figure what race this is. Goudy (Carl or Bill?) is a good marker name. We have documented many area races that the Waverley-PEM-Jefferson took part in. I have many of them but Dick probably has even more.

Cory, it is possible the Jefferson single beat the twins. We know the speedy little overhead single did beat the twins more than once on area horse tracks. Too bad the Jefferson never made the famous races like Dodge City or the big board tracks events. That would have been VERY cool.

Barry, where'd you find this photo? It's nice!
                          Herb, I went through my files but couldn't find this exact race. I'm also sure it was Rockford or even Janesville. I'll keep looking. I'm sure I have a newspaper clipping of it somewhere.

Cory, the Waverley single was beating twins all the time especially in 1912. Here is part of an article fromt the Janesville Daily Gazette, Friday, May 31, 1912. This is an original clipping that Perry himself cut out from the paper. It's pretty fragile. The single was also
                          beating twins in 1913.

Dick
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                            Here's a link that contains the attributes of the "New Jefferson"........ interesting...
                            http://www.ozebook.com/azn/jefferson.htm I'm going to have to dig through my back issues and re-read the article on Perry Mack that was written by pem...........
                            IMO there was no "New Jefferson" motorcycle but only the Jefferson, that is the bike renamed as the "new" Jefferson as opposed to the defunct older P.E.M. name.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
                              Hey Cory, check this out. What a small world. These photos are Jeff Haberman's. The sidecar photo was taken in front of the Waverley factory. Only known photo of the factory.

Dick
                              I believe there's also a photo of the factory building later on when it was used for bean cannery or warehouse. Today the site has a modern polebarn on it right next to the Rock River. You've visited the spot right?
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======

Comment

Working...
                              X