throttle cable opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle cable opinions?

i have several old bikes, these are riders, not perfect restorations and are not meant to be. when i did my 47 indian i put the correct throttle cable you know one of those %$#@* lawn mower hard wire cables. on my knuck project i am using a soft cable and return spring like late model bikes use. i have ridden my indian in group rides, toy runs and the like. it seems the throttle is either too open or not open enough trying to maintain space between other bikes when riding with a crowd. i am thinking on going the soft cable and spring route from now on for easier throttle control. has any one else given this much thought?

Larry,
    What kind of wire are you using? It should NOT be lawn mower control wire. It should be a high tensile wire of the proper gauge. When I was working in a shop in the old days we would purchase a roll of piano wire and use it. I have solid wire throttles on all my bikes and never have issues with throttle control.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

they're tricky

Hi Larry, If you have all the correct hardware within the Thottle assembly it should be rather smooth and in some ways better? The linkert had several different operating levers, the route of the cable which is very important. Anything not in order would/could cause irratic throttle operation. Yes the soft cable with spring return is a good way of keeping a smooth tension on the throttle. Merlin in COLD Pa. keep riding them

Comment

ive used solid wire cable on my chiefs ,my only complaint was a broken cable (twice)where the cable engages the spiral .i was always a cheapskate in this area with lubricant ,since i got new skates no probs!
        1946 chief 1948 chief 1948 wl 1950wl 1941ulwith sidecar 47 chief(in the works)65bsa

Comment

Throttle Cable

I Didn't Mean To Imply That I Used Lawn Mower Cable, But The Old Throttle Cable Is Very Simular. It Works Fine, But It Is Hard To Keep A Steady Pace With Other Riders. With A Soft Cable And Return Spring As Used On My Other Bikes It Is Much Easier To Control My Speed And Distance.

Comment

Larry,
            Unless you have some kind of binding issue it does not make sense that you cannot keep a steady throttle position. Internal throttles always have a slower rate of movement which tends to make them nearly infinitely adjustable for position unlike touchy external throttles. You may have an issue with your carburetor or manifold allowing an air leak which affects the mixture causing erratic operation. I find my throttles to be extremely easy to use in any situation, actually almost like cruise control with tiny adjustments being possible. Is the throttle lever on your carb correct? That can also affect the travel and rate of opening.
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

throttle cable/wire

Larry,

I have a number of old bikes with solid wire throttles and two newer bikes with the snap throttles and can tell you that for me the old style is much more to my liking. Like cruise control but all mechanical. I would ask what the riding style is of whoever you are riding with is if you are having difficulty keeping evenly spaced. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are running aftermarket cable housings with stock (NOS) wire through it you may be having an issue with a lag or slack in the wire within the cable housing. The after market ones I have had are not as tight a fit and causes this slack or slow response. As the others have mentioned here having the correct components and adjustments is key to proper throttle response. I have never had an issue with the wire throttles and try to keep them and the spirals lubed up every year to make sure the operate properly.

Rollo
              AMCA # 12766

Comment

Larry,
                I am running a Mikuni 38mm on my knuck and used a reverse spiral and a coil spring behind the plunger to aid in pullback of the flexable cable. I had to play with different springs to get it to return but it works pretty good.
                Scott Shears
                Membership #15962

Comment

throttle cable

i got all my parts for the indian from jerry grier, excellent quality, i wish i could get parts this good for old harleys. i'm just used to riding later bikes with spring return throttle and like the way they work better. maybe just a personal peference. when i get my knuck finished it will have the spring throttle and i can compare riding.

Comment

I have found using dry graphite and spraying the housing coil and wire with a dry film lube makes an easy action- possible a little less stiction friction than grease or oil. I like the feeling of no return spring tugging back.
                    Dan Margolien
                    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
                    Www.yankeechapter.org
                    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

I had the same problem on my 49, she wouldn't idle down right away when fully backing off on the throttle, turned out the cable was binding, I found a better route and lubed it up good...Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X