Removing chrome from a rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing chrome from a rim

I just got a Kelsey Hayes rim for my knucklehead. The rim is currently chromed and I would like to paint it black. I know that powder coat adheres to chrome but that's a no no in my book. So, I'm looking for any ideas for getting the chrome off my rim. I have heard it can be acid dipped but I am concerned that it could compromise the strength of the rim. Any suggestions?
    Eric Hitzel
    AMCA 14954

Take it to the chrome shop and have them do it. They do it for a living.

Comment

Rob this is going to take a lot of lye!
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I've never had trouble with paint on chrome. Paint chips just a easily on a chrome surface as it does on a bare steel surface. I have my rims sandblasted by an industrial sandblaster and get excellent primer adheasion. Also, sandblasting "normalizes" the rim and releaves stress. Personally, I only use paint. I just don't like the looks of powdercoat.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

covering old chrome

I agree with Eric, I've painted over chrome after sandblasting lots of times over the years, and it's always held up as well as it would on sandblasted bare steel. Never powercoated any of it though, I would expect it would take powdercoat just as well.
          Doug.
          Doug McLaughlin #6607
          NorCal, USA

Comment

Paint on chrome.

I've used acid etching primer to paint on chrome ,it works well,comes in two parts.

Comment

Painting Chrome

Everyone is right on the money with their comments. I like to do both. After wiping the entire surface with any thinner, grease remover etc.. to rid the entire surface of grease or oil, I then beadblast it, wipe it clean again with a paint prep and then apply an acid etch primer. Auto parts stores that sell to body shops will have an acid etch spray can that is one coat application.... normally around 20 bucks. Make sure you use good paint that has a hardener in it. Most spray bombs such as Rust-O-Leum do not ever get a hard finish. and also are not gas or solvent reisitant. Ask your auto body supplier for advice.

Hope this helps

Steve Klein
              AMCA Member 12176
              Cherokee Chapter
              Georgetown TX
              Steve Klein
              Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
              American Pre-teens - 1965
              AMCA Member 12176
              Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
              www.CherokeeAMCA.org
              Steve@SteveKlein.com