EL Tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL Tranny

Hi, my first question here. My tranny on my 47 El has a number of 12135 stamped on it. There is also a #1 stamped nearby also. There is a casting #F5 The bike s/n is 12xxx

1. Was this tranny used from 36 to 65?

2. I have had the nut that holds the countershaft sprocket come loose a couple of times and can't seem to keep it tight. I can't seem to get the oil leak stopped. I have chased the threads on the shaft and used the new supernut and used the lock ears. I was thinking about maching the width of the sprocket thinner so the nut has more threads to hold. Your thoughts?

3. It jumps out of 4th gear once and a while. I am thinking about having someone go through the whole thing. Anyone in East central Iowa that you would reccomend to me? PM me if you do not want to post.

Thanks
    Dave

The 121 35 is the casting number. The F 5 tells us it was cast in June 1945.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I'm not an expert but let me give you my Holiday Inn Express opinion to question 2 and 3, get the thing rebuilt, that is what it is telling you.

From what I see on here I would contact Carl's Cycle Supply to get it rebuilt.
      JMHO
      Scott Shears
      Membership #15962

Comment

I Always Use Red Loctite On That Thread And Nut As Well As The Tabs. You Can Also Drill And Tap The Sprocket Like The Newer Evo Bikes Are And Put In A 1/4 20x1/2 Inch Socket Head Bolt To Lock It In Place

Comment

Dave!

"Supernuts" only fit '65 and later main drive gears with the seal removed, and require the '65 and later clutch hub as well.

If you have original hardware, you have an interference at two different places.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
          X