Spray Can Paints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray Can Paints

I'm a BIG believer in John Pierce's paints and have a beautiful 1947 FL on which I used his blue paint to prove it. I plan on using his paints on my 1964 Sportster and my 1953 FLE. And as an added plus, he's a great guy and always very helpful with application questions.

But.....

One of my current projects is a rag-tag bar-hopper that I wish to assemble using the limited resources (hopefully not the limited knowledge) that I had in the 1960's when I first started in this grand lifestyle. Among other things that we did back then was to paint our bikes using spray can candy paints. If I remember, these paints were laquer and acrylic enamels and there were a whole host of very beautiful colors readily available at your local auto parts store. Boy, has the EPA 'solved' that problem! In lieu of the availability of these paints it looks like krylon primer - which we also did. I have found duplicolor paints online, but they don't seem to address what I'm looking for.

I'm no painter and have no desire to start shooting paint at this point in my life - I leave that skill to the profssionals like Pierce. But I would love to try a spray can job one more time!

Does anyone know if these or similar spray-bombs are still avaliable and if color chips are available??
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill I pondered your queation and I might have a cheap solution. There are refillable spray cans out there for doing spot repairs. There inexpensive and this way you can just buy a quart of quality paint of your choice at what two or three spray cans will cost you. Might come out a little cheesy in the end but from your post it’s what you’re looking for. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Check the touch up paint section at the auto store. Almost any color you see on a car today should be available in a spray bomb. They may need to order it. Cans are smaller and cost more, but isn't that the way with everything these days?
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks Guys.

I found the Plasticoat web site and it appears that they have lacquer spray bombs, lacquer primers, cear coats, etc. Looks like this should fit the bill for a poor-kid's bar-hopper, although these days without the alcohol. Looks like that's what I'll go with, as they're available (or orderable) at my local auto parts store. I;m sure that I'll be calling John Pierce for real paint in a couple of years, but it'll be fun doint this one more time!

Thanks again for the input...

Bill
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Spray-can Candy?

Bill,
          Back in the 60's I painted several bikes with the old Cal-Custom 3 part candy spray cans. Silver or gold base, color and clear. I used the candy red and also the root-beer. The root beer was hard to get even, but the red came out nice, and it looked like a nice custom job. The stuff layed down real nice, and with a bit of care came out great, The clear was pretty tough and the paint held-up very well. I found an old can at a yard sale a while back and bought it for the "stuff" shelf.
          Anyway, while poking around on the 'net I came across this outfit that has a spray candy, a bit different than the old stuff, but maybe worth a look? http://www.kustomrides.com/supplies/...ray-paint.html
          Doug
          Doug McLaughlin #6607
          NorCal, USA

Comment

Doug,

Now that you gave me the name, I certainly do remember the Cal Custom paint! I will definately check out the web site for the material you found. Thanks for the lead. Another accalade goes to the AMCA for yet another service produced on this forum....

I found the Plasticoat paint that I referenced above. Unfortunately, their lacquers only include black, red, white and clear. However, I need to paint the tool box and the ride-off stand for my '47 FL, so I purchased the black and the recommended sandable primer. It layed down GREAT !! At least I'm now capable of home-painting all the small black parts for my '53 FLE and '64 XLCH. It's not as much the money as it is the inconvenience of having all the small stuff painted black by a painter that bothers me. I recommend the Plasticoat black lacquer to all who are interested.

Bill
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,
              Some of this info helped me paint a fender that came out looking better than I expected. Good luck and Happy New Year.
              http://www.motorcyclepartsx.com/chea...e-painting.htm

Comment

I used to buy wrecked bikes from insurance companies and restore them when I was in my 20's. Bent frames and fork tubes got shipped to Buchannan in CA.

Some I repainted with the compressor, but sometimes would paint with factory paints that I had put into spray cans by the supplier. That was a place in Reading, PA. I even took a quart of factory BMW black paint to him and had him can it up for me into his spray cans. Couple bucks a can to have it done. I remember the spray heads on the can were of a high quality, laid down a nice cone shape mist with good coverage.

I was able to get a very professional looking job with them. Very little peel, rubbed out nicely.

Do any suppliers bottle paint for you into paint cans any more these days?
                Last edited by rbenash; 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM.
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

I can remember paint stores making spray cans for you, but haven't seen that in quitwe a while. We buy these things called "Prevail" sprayers. They are disposable aerosol powerunits with a screw on glass jar. Thin out your paint and pur it in and spray away. I run a cabinet shop in the real world and we use these things for touch-up after install and for small jobs in the shop that would be a real hassle to spay with the conventional guns due to all the clean up.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
                    I can remember paint stores making spray cans for you, but haven't seen that in quitwe a while. We buy these things called "Prevail" sprayers. They are disposable aerosol powerunits with a screw on glass jar. Thin out your paint and pur it in and spray away. I run a cabinet shop in the real world and we use these things for touch-up after install and for small jobs in the shop that would be a real hassle to spay with the conventional guns due to all the clean up.
                    I think you meant "Preval". I've seen them in the Rockler Hardware catalog. Looked like a good concept. Might give them a try next time I need something like that. Pretty reasonable pricing too.
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

They work really well as long as you get the viscosity right. We also remove the strainer on the bottom of the pick up tube. They work much better without it, just strain your material before it goes in the jar. I keep a spare jar with solvent handy for cleaning and just leave it on the power head were using, keeps them from getting clogged.
                      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

There is a place near me that will take a quart, or quarts of paint and put them in aerosol cans. It's called Ketone, and is on the web. You should be able to ship to them, or if it is a known paint, like a dupont fleet color, they can provide it.

http://www.ketone.com/

I was doing a military bike that had a million painted parts. I had an extra quart of paint mixed that was put in spray cans, and it saved me from running back to the painter on a number of little things I forgot to get painted, or discovered I had done wrong.
                        A. Bernhardt
                        AMCA# 9726

Comment

Working...
                        X