Ryan's A.M.C.A. Giveaway bike build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan's A.M.C.A. Giveaway bike build!

I picked Ryan up at the airport last night at midnight. It was snowing in town, this picture is from outside the airport. My friend Ben Victor made the statues. They are neat.

Our main goal for the five weeks that Ryan is spending in South Dakota is to get the rolling chassis and sheet metal for the giveaway bike fit and finished. We straightened frames today, so we squeezed Ryan's Fork into the batch. The fork is n.o.s., but it was bent. The bottom legs were squeezed together.

In this pic Ryan is giving the fork the old "Johny Powers precision eyeball" The fork passed his inspection so we moved onto the front leg.

Here is the rough check for the front leg. It was bent, so we bolted our fixture between the bottom rocker holes and straightened it out.

Ryan blasted all of his hardware for his fork, and assembled the springs. The rockers were missing some of the nuts and washers. I found one washer to use as a pattern, so we made up the other three that were missing.

In this pic Ryan is drilling out the i.d.

After we made the three washers, I taught Ryan how to use the surface grinder to make sure that they were all the same width. The three washers were within four thousandths of being the same thickness, but it was a good opportunity to show Ryan how to use a surface grinder.

The new washers and the o.g. sample

Ryan and his new fork. We are going to work hard on getting everything assembled and fit up before we worry about painting things. This will give Ryan good practice on assembling and disassembling his bike. We will keep you posted. Have a nice night.
    A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Great story Matt, looking forward to reading more! Keep up the good work!!

Oh, to make sure Ryan get's a chance to ride this bike, I would suggest some sort of eye protection.
    20scout

Comment

That is a great way to start Ryan out on this project Matt ! .004" difference in the washers ?? If they be shims I would complain...but washers ? LOL OH......One very important observation I noticed instantly. RYAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were operating a lathe and a surface grinder......yet you were wearing no safety glasses !! I would really love to see you complete this project with your vision still intact. I'm not being an old bitchy fart when I say all this Ryan. I worked with machine tools 80% of my life. Metal chips or fragments have no mercy on the eyes, sometimes....even with safety glasses on. With them off.....you are a bullseye for them. Paps

Comment

G'day Paps.
        I was going to say the same thing re safety glasses. Now I don't feel so anal!
        Have a Merry Christmas all.

Ken
        Ken Kemp
        Nth Queensland
        AUSTRALIA
        Member # 8756

47 Chief
        2006 BMW K1200S
        Getting seriously interested in Vincent
        2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
        SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

Hey Ryan I have been behind you on this project since first reading your paper. Keep your shirt tucked in and give it all you have. Watch those precious fingers also.
          Joe

Comment

Ryan

Enjoy your time there, you're in good hands.
            Dave
            P.S. Watch out for the old Guy

Comment

Update!

Ryan and I noticed a big problem with his frame yesterday, the bottom tube of his right axle casting appears to have been broken and repaired at some point in its life. The top tube going into the axle casting also has some issues and is really bent.

It doesn't look too bad from this angle.

This is the view that kind of scared me. You can see inside the tube in this picture. We are replacing the entire bottom tube from casting to casting.

Sight in the top tube with the straight one behind it. This is messed up. We will replace a lot of this tube too. We found some d.o.m. tubing at a supply house in the next county and shoul have the material for the repair tomorrow.

Check out the face shield and ear plugs. Safety first

There is no turning back now!

Check out those stylin safety glasses. Safety is no joke in Aberdeen.

This is where we cut the top tube. This will be a really neat and strong repair when we are done. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for your support and Enthusiasm!
              A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

Looks like the frame repair work will be strong and true. This topic will be one of the best ever. Keep up the great work and reports Matt. Paps

Comment

Best of both worlds!!

It get's better each time I sign on, now I ask where can you go and learn about the early iron with Slojoe and the work required to complete his Cannon ball bike

Then also get to learn the in's and outs of the 40's flatties with Matt
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I'm with these fellas! If this is the beginning of a new trend for this forum I'm all for it. Thank-you Matt for including the rest of us in this build!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Guys,
                      I am glad that this whole project became a reality. I rounded up most of the parts for the bike through the AMCA, so it makes sense that Ryan and I share the whole experience with the people that made the whole contest possible.
                      best,
                      Matt Olsen
                      A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

Ryan spent the rest of the day grinding the old tubes out of the castings. In this pic you can see that the 1 inch tubing fits in the casting. This is miserable grunt work, and I am glad that Ryan did it rather than me.

I found some 1 inch d.o.m. tubing out back, Ryan had to drill out the i.d. Check out the glasses.

In this pic Ryan is laying out the 60 degree slash cut for the sleeve. Our chop saw doesn't bend at 60 degrees, so we roughed it out and sanded it accordingly.

Here is the rough line.

In this pic we are milling a slot in the tube to make it look like original.

The finished piece. We are going back out to the shop to make the top sleeve, it is basically the same deal, but the slot is twice as wide. We will keep you posted!
                        A.M.C.A. Board Member

Comment

Sharp looking fresh piece there ! I bet Ryan is proud of his new craftmanship. All that tough grinding and fitting really pays off. Ryan is getting a good base knowledge on the use of an endmill cutter to boot. Feeds and speeds are tricky to learn by first hand trial an error. I remember my first go at an endmill cutter, without consulting the machinists bible, broke that endmill cutter rather quickly. LOL ! Paps

Comment

Ryan, remember watch those valuable fingures. Stay focused power tools can bite back.
                            Joe

Comment

Great topic. Ryan forget the old guy, watch out for the kid!
                              Eric
                              :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                              Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
                              www.beautyofspeed.com
                              :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Comment

Working...
                              X