In 3 weeks - All 1975 and older bikes will be eligible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 3 weeks - All 1975 and older bikes will be eligible

In just a few weeks, all Japanese bikes produced in 1975 and before ....
    will be eligible for participation and judging at AMCA events.
    (35 year rule - 2010 - 35 = 1975)

New bikes for 1975 included - the Honda CB400F's, VN550G, CB750K5
    and the GL1000 GOLDWING.

Kawasaki brought out their KZ400S and the Z1 was back for another round
    in 1975.

Suzuki took the two-stroke design in a new direction when they introduced
    the RE5M Wankel in 1975 and Yamaha introduced their RS100, RD125.
    The RD350 and XS 650 were in the lineup too.

Who will be the first, to bring a Suzuki Rotary Wankel, to a 2010 AMCA event
    to be judged??
    Last edited by RSmith; 12-09-2009, 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

The Sound of a Wankel

It will be interesting to hear the rotary motor, so it can be judged.
    William McClean
    AMCA # 60

Comment

Sound of the now AMCA Legal RE5 Rotary

Here is the sound of the AMCA Legal Suzuki
      RE5 Rotary -

http://www.suzukicycles.org/RE5/RE5-Rotary.shtml

Comment

What a shame within ten years we will see MORE non-American MCs than those built in the good old U.S.A. SAD DAY ! Never wanted one never will !!

Comment

i think the field will split much like it does now. imports are in a small area next to the road in davenport for the most part----maybe they will have import day. i understand that not everyone can afford american but still love antique bikes. i don't think the antique import following will grow as fast as the antique american has. we'll see----it will be interesting and the bugs all taste the same at 60 MPH

Comment

I find it fascinating that this same old argument continues to surface. When the club went to the 35 year rule and ended the '54 cut-off date there was a great wringing of hands and commentary on how the club would change forever and the British and then the Japanese would take over. Has that happened? NO! And in '94 when the first Hondas became eligible it started again. Did it happen? NO! Not unlike the complaining about the government, most people bitch but do nothing. When is the last time you tried to get some young person interested and involved in vintage bikes? The biggest obstacle most young people have these days is not the cost, although it is a major issue, but the lack of education about the old machines. Have you ever offered to teach a young person to ride an old bike? Oh, you don't want some young jerk on your precious iron? Don't forget we were all young jerks back when we started. Get over the paranoia and embrace the fact that the club will continue to evolve. And invite the youngsters to the next meet, road run, or day ride you go on. Let them see what the old iron is all about!
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

i teach young people all the time. and women too. anyone who wants to learn all they have to do is come to my shop and let me know. last year i took my son and grand daughter to rhinebeck with me. my grand daughter was given a small bear that a guy made with a chainsaw while she watched. when he finished the bear he wrote her name EMMA at the bottom with a smaller saw and gave it to her. he wouldn't take a dime for all his work. how cool was that? well she thinks it's cool. it's standing guard at her bedroom door now.

Comment

Good for you Stillman!! And hopefully your granddaughter will acquire a feel for the old iron!
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Geez Rob, Don't encourage the girls to get into old motorcycles, it's tough enough competing with the male half of the population for this old junk. It's a good thing men are smarter than women or things could get rough.
                  Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Originally posted by koanes View Post
                    Geez Rob, Don't encourage the girls to get into old motorcycles, it's tough enough competing with the male half of the population for this old junk. It's a good thing men are smarter than women or things could get rough.
                    Get some paper plates,the dishes will pile up fast after that remark.

On second thoughts,forget the plates,take-a-ways come in a dish.

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                      I find it fascinating that this same old argument continues to surface. When the club went to the 35 year rule and ended the '54 cut-off date there was a great wringing of hands and commentary on how the club would change forever and the British and then the Japanese would take over. Has that happened? NO!... Robbie
                      Just to remind you, from the beginning of the club, the rule was "1929," changed later to 1942, the beginning of WWII. I was active in club affairs at that time, the 1970s, and I was among the "youngsters" who petitioned the Board of Directors to loosen up; I wrote letters to the board, suggesting that they cut loose of the 1942 date, or risk shriveling on the vine. The only two classes then were "Antique," up through 1929, and "Post-Antique," through 1942.
                      Bikes being found in barns were then about the same age as now, put away for 20-30 years before being "rediscovered," but the club had no recognition for post-war bikes.
                      The most telling response i got was from dear old Lou Lichva, of New York, and one of the guys responsible for the recognition of the Ace Four, having built one when they could be found, a part here, a part there, for almost nothing.
                      He was an AMC Director, and expressed that he understood how we younger folks must feel, but explained that he rode an Ace in the Twenties, when he was courting his wife, Pauline. So he rode 'Antiques' when they were new, and that to him, a Knucklehead or late Indian was all "new stuff," since it was introduced long after he started riding.
                      He represented the old timers, to me, who started the club in 1954, and set 1929, twenty five years, as the cut-off then. The 1942 "Post Antique" class only came in later.
                      It was finally cut loose, to float at 35 years, but much later.
                      What you remember the cut off year "used to be" dates your entry into AMCA affairs for us old timers of today. I think it actually was stuck at 1954 for a couple of years, before finally just letting it float, at 35.
                      So, fightin' over what should and shouldn't be eligible, remember, like your taste in music, it's just your age showing!
                      Last edited by Sargehere; 02-18-2010, 06:49 AM.
                      Gerry Lyons #607
                      http://www.37ul.com/
                      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X