Looking for vin number..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for vin number..

On a 40 sport scout, is there a place other than the engine case where there is a vin number??? Dan

I believe there is one on the left rear end of the frame.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Rigid frame Chiefs have the frame # on the left axel carrier . . . Where Chris said.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Chris is right, that is where it is located on my 40 SS.
        20scout

Comment

I'll echo everybody's comments..... left rear.... I'm just wondering though...... since when did Chris decide to admit knowing something about the "other" brand???
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            I'll echo everybody's comments..... left rear.... I'm just wondering though...... since when did Chris decide to admit knowing something about the "other" brand???
            I actually own one of the other brands. Two if you count my 1951 Indian Princess bicycle.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks much fellas.... Will look when I get a chance. Dan

Comment

Just scraped the paint off and found it... The engine number isn't the same as it??? The Frame number matches the title.... Why is that??? Military model???

Comment

The numbers on an Indian don't quite match. My 40 Scout is a matching number bike. The engine is FD0379 and the frame is 640379. The translation is simple F = 6th letter and D = 4th letter.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    I actually own one of the other brands. Two if you count my 1951 Indian Princess bicycle.
                    Well I'll be.... you've got a couple of Injuns! How many miles are on that bicycle?
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by cabanadan View Post
                      Just scraped the paint off and found it... The engine number isn't the same as it??? The Frame number matches the title.... Why is that??? Military model???
                      Jerry illustrated this well. If the last numbers on the case match the last numbers on the frame then you've got a motor and frame that came together.........
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                        a good friend (local) has son in navy, San Diego, who acquired an Indian bicycle, kid also owns a Pope bicycle. got pix, Chris?

First year sport scout, 1934 is 634--- on frame, FCD--- on motor
                        1935...................................635--- FCE---
                        36 636--- FCF---
                        37 637--- FCG---
                        38 638--- FCH---
                        39 639--- FCI---
                        40 640--- FDO---
                        41 641--- FDA---
                        42 642--- FDB---

48 ?? the 50 big base racers, .. (need some help!)

Robin Markey told me that military bikes weren't stamped, and that military stock parts were often sold to dealerships for replacement parts, and that the dealers were to stamp them upon installation. but some didn't get stamped.

Comment

If that is what Robin told you then you know for sure that it is indeed true. That guy really knows his stuff!!!
                          20scout

Comment

I'd have to agree. Robin is the go to guy on Injuns! I've got a set of military cases with no numbers. What did you need to know about the big base (648) racers?
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                              I'd have to agree. Robin is the go to guy on Injuns! I've got a set of military cases with no numbers. What did you need to know about the big base (648) racers?
                              "need to know" wasn't the thing, I just don't know how they were numbered, and the subject includes them. I could ask Gary Landeen (local owner and avid student of the racing scouts), but if you could complete my little unfinished report, please be my guest. Besides, if I go ask Gary I might end up working on his bikes! (a pleasure,btw)

Comment

Working...
                              X