741 oil sump help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 741 oil sump help

The Indian is trying my patience........the bike fires up quite easily the problem it seems to have is the oil return to the tank sometimes it return's fine and like today sometimes it doesn't want to work I have had the sump out checked and cleaned everything and reinstalled it back in late September ,worked fine for a while but now it seems to have a mind of it's own only working occasionally.
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Chuck, I assume you're looking in the oil tank at the return line while the engine is running. How long do you let it run before you shut the motor down? I ask this because my Chief pump can be lazy and take awhile to return oil to the tank. I just figure there is enough oil in the sump to fling oil and generate mist to keep things safe. Of course I don't race the motor while I'm waiting.
    Last edited by exeric; 11-24-2009, 06:37 PM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Eric,
      Yes that is what I was told to look for when starting this bike sometimes it is almost as soon as the bike fires up the oil returns to the tank,and other times maybe up to 4-5 minutes and I would shut it down I don't race the motor either but it makes me pretty uncomfortable not seeing any oil squirting back in to the tank.
      When I restart it sometimes it will start returning to the tank then maybe it's just me but it seems like a long time for it to circulate
      Chuck
      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

What I used to do with my scout, used to prime the return tube abit. Kept a small funnel in the garage, I would fill the tube up and then kick her over. Usually did the trick, dont know why, but my scout has not done it in years now. Starts purking right now. Be carefull if you try checking it going down the road. I did one time and by the time I got the cap back on I had oil all over me, you get the rpm's going at all and there's alot of oil coming out of there, I tell you! Good luck Chuck.

Comment

Thanks Tom,
          I have done that also to get it working but I would hate to think that I would need to haul a funnel around with me

Roughly how long does a "lazy" oil sump take to start returning on other bikes?
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply Chuck. I really didn't know what else to say and I was hoping a more experienced Indian guy like Tom would chime in. Tom's suggestion about the funnel made me recall that I kept a siphon type oil can on the bench near my bike. I could pump the return line full of oil without making a big mess. Like Tom, my Chief seems to be pumping right up these days so I haven't needed the oil can. The last time I took the oil cap off while the bike was running happened at a stop light. A guy and his wife gave me the thumbs up gesture and I gave him the super cool nod like I just rode in from 1948. Then, like some kind of expert, I took the oil cap off and had a gyser of hot oil in my lap. I was like Barney Fife, fumbling to get the cap back on. I didn't bother to look at the couple next to me because I'm sure they were in hysterics.
            Last edited by exeric; 11-27-2009, 08:47 AM.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

The only Real Danger from a delayed start of the oil return is too much oil in the bottom end and some smoke. Once it picks up it will put it back into the oil tank. I can't think of Anything in the feed side that would cause it not to feed except a mechanical breakage of some type. So you don't have to worry about a lack of oil or anything it is Still getting plenty of oil, it's just sometimes a little slow to pick up the return. Make sure that the line from the sump to the return side of the pump is TIGHT or is could suck air and lose prime. I modify all my Chiefs to the 47 scraper and it would Probably work on a Scout. You can do this mod and keep it looking pretty stock. This 1940 engine has a '47 type scraper in it.
              http://laughingindian.com/
              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
              A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

I've used a small plastic dental syringe with the small tip cut off to prime my pump and it worked great. Also leaning the bike to the right might get the oil flowing a bit quicker for you. Good luck Chuck
                Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                Thanks Tom,
                I have done that also to get it working but I would hate to think that I would need to haul a funnel around with me

Roughly how long does a "lazy" oil sump take to start returning on other bikes?

Comment

I have been using a fork oil tube syringe to prime mine it has a piece of tube to fit in to the return line something that I caught is some of the return lines in the tank must be more towards the oil tank cap opening mine is just inside the edge of the tank I have had the cap off while it was idling and it was kind of gurgling not a real steady stream but I am sure they would flow a bit more as the motor picked up rpm's.........at least I hope mine is.

reading what you guys are saying this seems to be a fairly common trait with Indians from time to time when I don't see oil return to where it belongs I get a bit nervous and it's like time stands still the other bikes I have had in the past panheads and shovelheads I never saw something like this happen before then again I never rode something from 42 and considering I am working on a 30 VL also I may have a bit more to learn considering I am the oil system (injector) on that bike.
                  I will double check the line from the sump to the pump is tight

Thanks for everybodys responce
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
                  X