letter to the editor spring 08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letter to the editor spring 08

Ted Williams wrote in a letter to the Antique Motorcycle magazine last year that was printed on pg. The letter refers to a article in the july '67 issue of Cycle World where there were 1/4 mile speed runs for Bob Starks '48 chief and my Grandpa's '34 4 cyl that was on the cover of that issue. Ted stated that the '34 never made the 1/4 mile run and that it was a later model 4 running that day. The later 4 turned out to be my Grandpas '41 4 with harley forks on it. I recently found my Grandpas slides from that day and I thought someone might like to see them...they show the '34 still in the van.

a few more

It was pg 6 of the spring 08 issue

Comment

Great shots Scott! I wonder why the 34 never got unloaded? Or was it broken? Oh, and did grandpa ever catch any flack from purists on that H-D front-end?
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
        Great shots Scott! I wonder why the 34 never got unloaded? Or was it broken? Oh, and did grandpa ever catch any flack from purists on that H-D front-end?
        We all know it takes Harley parts to make Indians better.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I saved most of my Cycle world magazines from the sixties, first good snow day I'll have to dig them out to see if I have that issue. A handfull of various Indians there, I wonder who got the fast time. Chris, I put a Harley muffler on my 39 Chief but it still sounds like an Indian. (Thank Goodness)
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I bought that issue and still have it. Great slides !
            VPH-D

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the photos. The '34 wasn't broken it had just been restored from being quite rusty. I have some BEFORE slides of it I'll have to scan one day. The '34 used to hang in a motorcycle shop window in So. Cal. for a long time. A guy in Washington has it now and I hear it still runs strong after fortysome years. I don't think my Grandpa held on to the '41 too long but I doubt anyone was giving him grief over the forks. It's cool to see a young Bob Stark with his bike. Here is a few more coolshots of Grandpa in 1970 on his '29 four.
              Originally posted by c.o. View Post

Comment

Grandpa looked purty darn cool on that '29!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory, I never saw these shots until recently but I think they are cool too. Same bike is on the cover of THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE FOURS.

Comment

That is such a find. You are a lucky grandson!
                    Denise

Comment

thank you for sharing very nice indeed !!

Comment

Working...
                      X