Triumph Guidance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph Guidance?

If a fellow was to decide that he desired to assemble a mid seventy’s Triumph as near as possible to being, dare I say, correct, What would be the best book/author for him to purchase?

I know that thirty year plus old machines are considered pretty young but they are great future entry level bikes which our club will eventually be judging in the not to distant future, so what’s your opinion?
    -Steve
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
    If a fellow was to decide that he desired to assemble a mid seventy’s Triumph as near as possible to being, dare I say, correct, What would be the best book/author for him to purchase?-Steve
    Have you been reading "Motorcycle Chums"?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Ohio-rider,
      Short list of titles:
      Triumph Motorcycle Restoration Guide - David Gaylin
      Original Triumph Bonneville - Gerard Kane
      Bonnie, The Development History - J R Nelson
      Triumph Twin Restoration - Roy Bacon

There are others but these are a good start and have tons of info with year by year changes listed. The Mid Seventies are probably the easiest of any Triumphs to do. Virtually everything is available for them and they are very usable. Kane's book has the least info but some of the best photos. Nelson was head of Triumphs Service Dept. for years. And as to my opinion, I say if you like it, do it and don't worry what others think. There are those on this forum who believe that if it isn't American it doesn't exist but that just makes the pickings better for everyone else!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Chris, You sure do make me goggle a lot of things. I’m still waiting for the Motorcycle Chums to go to DVD.

Rob, Thanks for the info and I agree about the mid seventy’s British bikes being quite easy to find parts for, heck most of them still have all their parts still bolted on to them. The Triumph’s have always had a certain allure to me and after the economy tanking this past year they seem like a good economical chose as well. -Steve
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
          Chris, You sure do make me goggle a lot of things. I’m still waiting for the Motorcycle Chums to go to DVD. -Steve
          His style of writing "If a fellow was to decide that he desired to assemble a mid seventy’s Triumph as near as possible to being, dare I say, correct, What would be the best book/author for him to purchase?" made me think of The Motorcycle Chums series of children's books.
          Written beginning in 1912 it was very formal. I quote from Motorcycle Chums in the Adirondacks, "Oh! please hold up a little fellows! What's the use of this hurry anyway? Rome wasn't built in a day, you know. And sure, we've done right well this morning haven't we? Lets stop and rest up. Lets take a look around this vigorating Adirondack scenery."

I have been collecting these old children's books for a long time. Most were written in the teens. When I found myself bedridden I actually read some of them. It takes time to get into the flow of formal writing.
          Some of the series I have are; Motorcycle Chums. Boy Scouts on Motorcycles, The Motorcycle Chums, A Motor Scout in Flanders. Bert Wilson and his Twin Cylinder Racer, The Speedwell Boys on Motorcycles, Boy Scouts Motorcycles, Tom Slade Motorcycle Dispatch Bearer, The Rivals of the Trail, Joe Strong on the High Wire, Tom Swift and his Motorcycle, The Motor Boys, Bob Steele's Motorcycle, Two Boys in a Gyro Car, Big Five Motorcycle Boys, and in the original Hardy Boys books the boys rode motorcycles.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Have you seen this one yet. Just a bit of fun about the N1H1 flu bug.

------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

I have both the Nelson and Bacon books and as excellent as they are, you'd need a factory parts list for certain accuracy. Bacon does list part numbers in his book and that is useful as engine parts, normally have an E prefix, and the number is usually cast into that part. Quite easy for identification in most cases, but there's always the exception, of course.

Bill

Comment

Need a little advice on a TR6

I have been into the American made motorcycles since 1972 but have never been around many British bikes. I have an opportunity to pick up a 1968 TR6 from the original owner. The motorcycle has been parked since 1981 but was running at the time when it was parked, It looks to be all there except the exhaust does look to be aftermarket. The vin is TR6RDU73###. What can anyone tell me about the vin number and a realitive value range on the motorcycle.
                Gene Nelson
                www.roguehawg.com

Comment

Gene,
                  A Triumph of that era is very desirable these days. The TR6R is the Trophy Roadster and is the best for a regular user but not the most sought after. The TR6C and Bonneville models command the most money. A correctly restored Bonneville in that time frame can bring 10-12K+. The TR6R about 2/3rds as much, even though they are nearly the same bike except for some finish details, carburetors, and serial numbers! That VIN falls squarely into the '68 range. Does it have matching engine and frame numbers? That will affect value significantly to a collector.
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hey Gene I have a good friend that owned a shop in the sixty's his name is corburn benson everybody calls him Ben if you goggle his name you will find some interesting stuff.he first tried his hand at racing, he favorite machine was the Vincents but he made his mark with the triumph he know's a lot about British bikes give him a call and he will talk your ear off here's his # 207 743 2800 he's on the east coast so don't call after 8:00pm est

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                      Gene,
                      A Triumph of that era is very desirable these days. The TR6R is the Trophy Roadster and is the best for a regular user but not the most sought after. The TR6C and Bonneville models command the most money. A correctly restored Bonneville in that time frame can bring 10-12K+. The TR6R about 2/3rds as much, even though they are nearly the same bike except for some finish details, carburetors, and serial numbers! That VIN falls squarely into the '68 range. Does it have matching engine and frame numbers? That will affect value significantly to a collector.
                      Robbie
                      The motorcycle has matching frame and engine numbers. I t really looks like it was being ridden last week and was just parked, Original paint etc. Even still wearing the vintage tires. Thank you for the reply. So if I am reading you right you figure it would be fair to say the finished product cleaned up would bring around $6000.00? Thanks again for your time.
                      Gene
                      Gene Nelson
                      www.roguehawg.com

Comment

Originally posted by bill campbell View Post
                        Hey Gene I have a good friend that owned a shop in the sixty's his name is corburn benson everybody calls him Ben if you goggle his name you will find some interesting stuff.he first tried his hand at racing, he favorite machine was the Vincents but he made his mark with the triumph he know's a lot about British bikes give him a call and he will talk your ear off here's his # 207 743 2800 he's on the east coast so don't call after 8:00pm est
                        Thank you for the information, I will give Ben a call. Thank you for your reply.
                        Gene
                        Gene Nelson
                        www.roguehawg.com

Comment

I paid 4k for this 70 model tr6r exactly as you see it in this picture. From this i'm thinking 6k is a little high
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
                            I paid 4k for this 70 model tr6r exactly as you see it in this picture. From this i'm thinking 6k is a little high
                            Thank you for a good comparison. I am learning a lot about the Brit bikes in the past few days thanks to the more experienced members here on the forum. Thanks again.
                            Gene
                            Gene Nelson
                            www.roguehawg.com

Comment

submitted for your approval

This is the same bike today. I know this is the wrong color, but I think the correct color and livery (spring gold /black stripe ) is butt ugly.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X