Friend looking for Jones speedo parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend looking for Jones speedo parts

I have a friend in Italy who is searching for Jones speedo parts for his 1920 Rudge Multi. Can anyone help? He needs the parts pictured in the top photo to fit his speedo shown in the bottom photo.

Last edited by darrylri; 11-02-2009, 07:42 AM.
    --Darryl Richman
    Follow my 2012 Cannonball Blog!
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Originally posted by darrylri View Post
    I have a friend in Italy who is searching for Jones speedo parts for his 1920 Rudge Multi. Can anyone help? He needs the parts pictured in the top photo to fit his speedo shown in the bottom photo.
    1920 is kinda new for a Jones speedo to be fitted. Around late 1913 or early 1914 Johns-Manville took over Jones speedometer production. They continued to produce "Jones" speedometers for another year or two but by somewhere in late 1915 to early 1916 they had dropped the Jones moniker and were producing Johns-Manville speedometers in their stead.

Attached is a letter dated early 1915 summarizing some of this. Times have changed in 95 years. I doubt any company today would advertise ASBESTOS on their letterhead let alone in a font nearly as large as the company name. Lovely watermark on that paper. "Johns-Manville service covers the continent" superimposed on an outline of North America. People did things up right back in the day!

And just for completeness, Johns-Manville sold it's auto accessory division to Stewart-Warner in the early 1920s who continued to produce their speedos for a few more years as the Stewart J-M ... Perry
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 11-03-2009, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information! I've sent it on to my friend.
      --Darryl Richman
      Follow my 2012 Cannonball Blog!
      http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Comment

Working...
      X