Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1939 Sport Scout Rear speedo drive picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Sport Scout Rear speedo drive picture?

Does anyone have a picture of a correct 1939 rear speedo drive for a 39 Sport Scout. Not a Chief, they are different and not a 1940 Sport Scout, they are also different. A 1939 or a picture of what the 38-39 used which I am assuming are maybe the same used on the 1930's 101's?

Mike
    Mike Dunn
    Vintage German Motorcycles
    www.vintagegermanmotorcycles.com

Here you go. http://www.vintagebikeoc.com/gallery/jul08/ADSC_1665

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Parker View Post
      Scott,

Yes thats JD's scout. I had that picture on my hard drive and didnt even think about it. I found myself the correct speedo unit for my 1939 Sport Scout, I am happy now.

Mike
      Mike Dunn

Comment

Mike, Glad you found what you needed for the speedo. I sure love that guy Jd's bike, does he live in So. Cal. ? I also have a '39 SS that I was lucky enough to hold onto after my Grandpa passed away. I would like to know from JD if he rerouted his oil breather away from the rear chain, if not how does he keep his chrome exhaust below the chain looking so clean ? Here is a picture of my Grandpa ( Lysle Parker) restoring the '39, he was 87 years old at the time. My '39 has alot of different year parts on it but I love it just the way it is ! Please post pictures as your scout is coming together. Good luck, Scott

Comment

Mike, Glad you found what you needed for the speedo. I sure love that guy Jd's bike, does he live in So. Cal. ? I also have a '39 SS that I was lucky enough to hold onto after my Grandpa passed away. I would like to know from JD if he rerouted his oil breather away from the rear chain, if not how does he keep his chrome exhaust below the chain looking so clean ? Here is a picture of my Grandpa ( Lysle Parker) restoring the '39, he was 87 years old at the time. My '39 has alot of different year parts on it but I love it just the way it is ! Please post pictures as your scout is coming together. Good luck, Scott
          Scott,

JD had his bike restored by some guys in Northern CA, I forgot who. Basically he just waited for a finished product. I myself am restoring my bike from the start. Here it is at the begining and middle and than now.

Than the middle

And as it sits today. Some things are not in place, like the shifter bit its getting closer.

Last edited by mdunn; 10-28-2009, 05:03 PM.
          Mike Dunn

Comment

Mike, Beautiful bike and nice work your doing too ! Is yours a bonneville ? What tires do you have on it now ? My coker diamond treads seem to wander a bit at higher speeds and I wondered if I should have used something else. Scott

Comment

Scott,

Thank you and wait untill you see it finished. I have replaced alot of parts with correct 1939 parts, most reproduction but I dont care. I really want it too look as correct as possible and run just as good (60+). I will upload some motor pics friday night. Everytime I am working on the motor I forget to take some. The motor is not a Bonneville, but It will have a nice large Chief flywheel and stroker pistons when finished. Its getting closer, heads are done and other motor parts.
              Mike Dunn

Comment

Thanks for sharing these photos, great bikes
                Mike, the dealer transfer on rear fender nice touch who produces those?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg H View Post
                  Thanks for sharing these photos, great bikes
                  Mike, the dealer transfer on rear fender nice touch who produces those?
                  Some guy on ebay makes them and I got one because I knew it would work. The guys ebay name is Zagar-axe

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/zagar-axe/

They were like $9, not bad. Mine almost came out perfect but the clear coat began to eat it a tiny bit. Oh well adds chracter.
                  Mike Dunn

Comment

Mike, Beautiful bike and nice work your doing too ! Is yours a bonneville ? What tires do you have on it now ? My coker diamond treads seem to wander a bit at higher speeds and I wondered if I should have used something else. Scott
                    Scott,

I am sorry I am using Coker Firestone tires on my bike.

Mike
                    Mike Dunn

Comment

way to go guy's - awesome Sport Scout's ! Really sharp, I know JD's Sport Scout also - first class, you dont get better I think. He is in So Cal, the bike was his Dad's.
                      Scott, I have run the Coker diamond treads. Same thing as you, then I tried Universal's - ok, then Metzeler's and also Cheng shin's. So far the ones I and a few friends have liked the best. The Cheng shin's beleive it or not, the Metzeler's were good too. But for the price and ride and wear, the Cheng Shin's have given us good result's - just our experience.
                      Look forward to seeing and hearing your Sport Scout out on the road sometime Mike. Going to be an awesome machine !

Comment

Tom,

I have rode with you in the past, I had my 36 BMW R12 at the time. I finally decided I wanted an American bike and I wanted an Indian. After looking at pictures and the fenders I knew it was a 1939 or a 38 I had to have. The 39 was the last year of the shallow fenders and it had the instrument cluster surrounded by the chrome guage cover. The 1939, was the Worlds fair and it just in my mind the best looking Indians ever produced. Anyway, I have learned well and alot how the 1939 is a one off year in many ways.

Scott, I purchased one of the one way oil breather kits from Jerry Greers and it made a HUGE difference with hardly any oil all over my rims and pipes. It was expensive and you have to remove the oil pump but it was worth it.

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
                        way to go guy's - awesome Sport Scout's ! Really sharp, I know JD's Sport Scout also - first class, you dont get better I think. He is in So Cal, the bike was his Dad's.
                        Scott, I have run the Coker diamond treads. Same thing as you, then I tried Universal's - ok, then Metzeler's and also Cheng shin's. So far the ones I and a few friends have liked the best. The Cheng shin's beleive it or not, the Metzeler's were good too. But for the price and ride and wear, the Cheng Shin's have given us good result's - just our experience.
                        Look forward to seeing and hearing your Sport Scout out on the road sometime Mike. Going to be an awesome machine !
                        Last edited by mdunn; 10-29-2009, 11:34 PM.
                        Mike Dunn

Comment

Tom, Thanks for the rundown. I've tried putting more air in the tires and it seemed to help a bit on the wobble but made any bumps real bouncy. When I first got the bike it had original Goodyear All Weather diamond treads, they look geat but they are pretty hard and I thought I was going to dump it a few times going through some corners until I switched tires.The lower end of my motor was done by my Grandpas good friend Ken Edmiston and it does like to GO, I just wish my tires could keep up...probably shouldn't ride that fast anyways. Mike, I didn't see the breather kit on jerry greers site but I'll check into that... thanks. I used to have a check ball down at the scavenger that the ball got stuck in the middle of the spring. The oil would return at idle but at higher rpm it would wet sump bad and blow oil all over the chain and exhaust etc. I pulled the pump thinking it was the gears but that didn't help. After wet sumping some more I found the problem with the check ball... what a mess I had. It' much better now but still throws a bit of oil off the chain onto the hot exhaust. Hopefully this winter all the bugs can be worked out and I can meet you guys on a run next summer...maybe the Fort Sutter run in Tahoe in September. Here is how it looks today. Scott

Comment

Scott, I know what you mean. I have done the same, gone into a couple turns to fast for my own good. First time I got on the freeway, scared me to death - was bouncing so bad. I run 18lbs front and 15lbs back. Lee Standley told me that one, your lucky Ken did your motor. I bet it does want to run, they are great machines.
                            Mike I remember well, also one time you were on a 2 stroke if I remember right? I just ment, I look forward to seeing you on that Sport Scout, that"s all.
                            It would be awesome to get together and though my Scout's running great. Family issue's keep me from riding any of my toys right now. This forum and a few others are my escape :-) thanks for that !!

Comment

Scott, I know what you mean. I have done the same, gone into a couple turns to fast for my own good. First time I got on the freeway, scared me to death - was bouncing so bad. I run 18lbs front and 15lbs back. Lee Standley told me that one, your lucky Ken did your motor. I bet it does want to run, they are great machines.
                              Mike I remember well, also one time you were on a 2 stroke if I remember right? I just ment, I look forward to seeing you on that Sport Scout, that"s all.
                              It would be awesome to get together and though my Scout's running great. Family issue's keep me from riding any of my toys right now. This forum and a few others are my escape :-) thanks for that !!
                              Tom,

I live out next to Hemet now and when this is finished, I will want to go for a ride. I myself love to ride my bikes, I feel its the best thing is to let other people see them in person.
                              Scott, call Todd at Jerry Greers, he has those breather kits, they are not on his site. Made a huge difference with alot less oil all over the chain and rear wheel. I added new pics tonight on my flickr page. The managed to get a few more things done.

New rear tail light and armor covered wire. I also placed on the rear stand.

I added a new rear brake light switch.

Mike
                              Last edited by mdunn; 11-02-2009, 01:19 PM.
                              Mike Dunn

Comment

Working...
                              X