Milwaukee's 1909

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee's 1909

I found this good pic on the net of the '09 in the Milwaukee Museum. With earlier talk on this machine I figured I'd post it........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1911_Bikes.JPG
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Damn.....we were talking about the "double" were we not? Oh, well it's still not a bad pic.....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Proto type 09 single

Cory
      The 09 single on display is a prototype machine. I had the privilege years ago prior to the museum opening to view this bike in the archives. Take a close look at the motor-mounts especially the rear one, it is an introduction motor-mount that never went into production. The frame tabs capture a more robust engine case tab set that comes of each engine case half instead of the traditional method used from the first bike through 1929 F and J series bikes. Strange, also note the proto type 09 also has the late model schebler carb. not the early Harley Davidson carb. explain that anomaly.
      Joe
      Last edited by Slojo; 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Very interesting indeed..... it never seems to be cut and dried with the early stuff..... Thanks for the info Joe! What's your take on the twin?
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I suspect that as this bike was a prototype it was put in a corner of the factory and forgotten about. Parts like the carb were removed when needed for some thing else.

When the factory decided it wanted to collect some of its older bikes this one was resurrected and partially restored for demonstration/photo purposes. The carb was replaces with what they had available as was the rear fender which has the 3 hole fixing. It is not bolted to the earlier tube type cross frame Brace that this bike has.
          Other interesting things on this bike are the extra filler cap on the gas tank and what appears to be another outlet at the bottom of the tank there are also holes on the R/H side of the battery box.
          This bike also has its throttle control on the left hand side.

Pete Reeves 860.

Comment

1909 Double cylinder Harley Davidson

Cory
            The 1909 double was described to me by George Kaforsky (spelling?) in 1995 after his exhaustive research as described in the following paragraph. George was an owner of a 1911 49 cubic inch double cylinder Harley Davidson from the early 1970s until 1995. All double cylinder belt drive Harleys available to the public were 49 inch models (1911 , 1912).
            In 1909 Harley Davidson introduced 27 double cylinder motorcycles to the public by way of the Great Lakes Regional Dealers. This was a display only introduction (“testing the waters”). At the end of the season all 27 bikes were recalled by the factory and destroyed.
            The current 1909 double now on display in the factory museum as the first double cylinder Harley Davidson was built during the 1920s out of spare parts. The motor was a left over residing in the engineering department. Furthermore it is clear by a few rare photos and a hill climb appearance that the Motor Company did build strap tank double cylinder machines as far back as possibly 1907. You might want to take note that the bike on display has no belt tensioning device and is with a flat belt. When the absence of a belt tensioning devise is engineered into a bike it was common practice to be with a V belt of locking tooth design.
            Clearly Harley Davidson knew by 1909 that a flat belt drive required a tensioning device. The engineers that built the 1909 on display must have used what was readily available or easily fabricated (my opinion).
            Rumor has it that there is at least one more double cylinder 1909 motor known to exist. It is in the hands of a well to do collector and he resists doing anything with it.
            Joe
            Last edited by Slojo; 12-08-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Put together in the '20's you say? I bet they had no idea that anyone would care today about the bike's accuracy as it pertains to the way it orginally left the factory. Thanks for your insight Joe. That's a good story to know. All this stuff continues to fascinate me. It's always exciting when I hear an old tale for the first time!

Pete, I think Joe's rendition explains why things may be a little "off" with this bike.. wouldn't you agree?

Earl have you been following this thread?
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Joe..
                Your insight on the factory's 09 is great!. This thread is one of the more interesting ones around. Does anyone have any other close up shots of this bike ?

A few years ago at Oley, what appeared to be a "repop ?" 09 was on display... Was that the other motor or just a 'tribute'? I didn't have a camera to take a pic of it then, but from now on travel with a digital camera and 8 meg memory...

Bill Nugent
                WWW.OLDIRONRIDER.COM

Comment

Ain't the early Harley stuff grand?.......

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Bill N. View Post
                    Joe..
                    Your insight on the factory's 09 is great!. This thread is one of the more interesting ones around. Does anyone have any other close up shots of this bike ?

A few years ago at Oley, what appeared to be a "repop ?" 09 was on display... Was that the other motor or just a 'tribute'? I didn't have a camera to take a pic of it then, but from now on travel with a digital camera and 8 meg memory...

Bill Nugent
                    Bill
                    I go to Oley every year and do not remember seeing a 09 double cylinder Harley reproduction or otherwise. I did have my 09 single there and was ridding it around.
                    Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X