clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch issue

Having a problem kick starting my 79 bonnie. What does this mean? When pulling in the clutch lever while kicking I have no compression. Release the lever I then have resistance to the kicking action.

Sounds as though your clutch is working just as it should. When you pull in the lever, that disengages the kicker from the engine by allowing the clutch pads to release from each other, hence no resistance.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

clutch reply

I also have a 1975 Norton commando 850 with electric start. The former owner stated that I should never start the bike with out pulling in the clutch. I'm new to collecting antique British motorcycles and sometimes ask elementary questions

Comment

Be it kick start or electric start, the starting procedure of “freeing the clutches” should be performed either way. By the nature of their design these clutches have a tendency to stick together after having set for a period of time. When the clutches are stuck together the power from the engine is sent directly to the transmission with no way to control it. So even with the clutch lever pulled in, the clutches remain engaged and if you put the bike in gear, well…… no good could come from it.

Before starting the engine, pulling in the clutch lever and giving the kicker pedal a couple kicks until no resistance is felt. Now you can be sure that the clutches are free and it’s OK to start the engine and put the bike in gear.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Be careful what motor oil you use in Triumphs built after 1969. 1970 models began using the primary chain/clutch compartment as a plenum chamber for the crankcase breather and, unlike earlier models, share oil with the engine. Because of this, the use of oils with modern "friction modifiers" will penetrate the clutch linings and cause the clutch to slip under acceleration.
          Much research has been done on this problem. Honda and Yamaha both sell special motorcycle oils formulated without these ingredients, and special
          "racing" oils for flat-tappet engines (like our BSAs and Triumphs) are also available and are more suitable for our old engines than modern oils.
          Modern oils are formulated for overhead-cam engines with different wear characteristics that our old engines do not share, and for catalytic converters which our bikes don't have. See: http://www.britbike.com for more information.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Steve. I just brought my 72TR6C out of the shed for some fall riding. I had neglected it for a couple of years as it had a stripped out exhaust nipple. After that repair and installation of a better set of pipes and mufflers, fluids check etc., I was ready to fire up and ride. It took several kicks to get the clutch to release. I would still like to find the original scrambler pipes, but for now the low pipes and Dunstall Silencers look and sound great.
            Attached Files
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
            X