Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal Removal?

Can this decal be removed easily?
    I’ve been amusing the thought of just having at it with some #000 steel wool till I reach the paint on the other side., then some rubbing compound. But before I do that I’d thought I’d ask a few of you professionals around here. How would you take it off and save the paint job?
    Attached Files
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Has the decal been cleared over? If not WD-40 or a latex paint remover like OOPS and a lot of rubbing should take it off and not hurt the paint, But test it out first on the back of the tank as I have no idea what type of paint that is. If it's cleared..... I'd go with careful block sanding starting with 400 grit, but you will most likely need to re-coat it with a clear coat after it's been sanded off and rubbed out as most two stage paints need a clear top coat for protection. They are not very durable otherwise.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian, I don’t believe the tank has a clear coat on it, because of its flat finish and dull feel to the touch, and I don’t see any clear coat peeling/bubbling anywhere on the bike as is common after awhile with a clear coat. I’ll give the WD40 a try latter today and let you know how it does. -Steve
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

another thing to think about---if it has been out in the sun much the ghost outline of the letters will remain because the paint wont fade under the decal

Comment

Turns out that after trying a few different things yesterday that to my embarrassment the neighbor stopped by and informed me that the tank most differently does have a clear coat on it, and the decal is under that clear coat. Someday I’ll learn to stick to the things I know about and leave anything to do with paint or bodywork to the professionals. Hum…. I wonder how tuff pin striping can be to do? Oh well, thanks for the idea’s guys.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

Decal removal

Hi,
            In the 60s while at Bobs Indian sales we used vinegar to remove decals
            if you were real care full you could lift them and lay them on paper to save them for reproduction purposes.If it has a clear coat over it id say paint remover care fully applied with a q-tip could be used and then the vinegar applied to
            the decal.
            Keir Hellberg

Comment

Working...
            X