Tail light wiring/help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail light wiring/help needed

I bought a cloth covered wiring kit for the restoration (66 FL) and it came with tail light wires, although they were not in an asphalt sheath as most were. But there were no turn signal wires. I bought a 10' section of asphalt sheath, and some cloth wire. here's the question(s)

The brake light wires come out of the junction block behind the coil, and the turn signal wires come from the terminal block under the headlight shroud.

So, do i run the turn signal wires back as far as the coil, cut the asphalt there and then add in the brake light wires and begin a new run of wires inside the sheath into the rear fender? I'm looking for the correct way to do it if there is one?

the other way, i think, is to cut a slit in the sheath where the tail light wires join and keep the sheath in one piece? and does the sheath run on top of the oil tank?

Thanks to all who try to help!!
    Steve

the turn signal wires run in a separate conduit all the way from the turn signals to the headlight shroud on top of the backbone of the frame and under the seat tee across the top of the oil tank. no junction at the coil

Comment

so were the cloth wires (4) uncovered (no asphalt) as they enter through the hole in the rear fender and curve around the inside of the fender or are the in an asphalt sheath? there is room in the fender hole for 4 wires (turn signals/brake/tail) but not for two asphalt covers.. ?

Comment

Tail Light wiring

I didn't get a comlete answer so trying again. The rear turn signal wires come all the way from the front (headlight shell), into the hole inthe rear fender and to the turn signals (this is on a '66 FL).. but the taillight/brakelight wires come from the terminal strip behind the coil..

So, there are 4 wires, 2 from front and two from terminal block that go into the hole in the rear fender and routed back to the taillight area.

I dont' think there were two separate asphalt looms that went into the fender...so what does it look like ...were there just 4 cloth covered wires, or were there two asphalt looms or did they share a loom?

I can't find anything difinitive?? I got one answer about where it routed over the oil tank, but still struggling with the brake/tail llight wires.

Thansk

Comment

Working...
        X