68 FLH Tillotson Carb Brackets - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 FLH Tillotson Carb Brackets - need help

Does anyone have a picture or diagrahm of the throttle and choke cable brackets as mounted on a 68 flh?

Search all over to no avail.

Thanks.
    \'77 Sportster
    \'68 FLH
    \'61 Super 10
    \'56 Servicar
    \'59 Hummer

The 59 to 69 parts book has the diagrahm on both. I have a stock 68 flh except the carb because the original carbs were nothing but trouble for me. I was able to modify an S and S carb with the internal throttle set up and the original air cleaner cover to make it look stock. Ive been running it for years flawlessly if things don't go your way.
    1959 XLCH

Comment

I checked my local HD dealer and the parts book they had did not show it. I'll go back again and check. I found a picture of the bracket set up for the throttle, so it is just the choke that eludes me. I'm told the bracket mounts to the upper motor mount, but it seems like an odd fit.

The bike had a bendix on it. I'm certain there are better options out there, but for the limited amount of riding I do, I prefer to return to stock.
      \'77 Sportster
      \'68 FLH
      \'61 Super 10
      \'56 Servicar
      \'59 Hummer

Comment

My parts book shows the choke brackets and blow up, I'll try to post a pic but I am not very good at it. My book is Harley 1959 to 1969 flh
        1959 XLCH

Comment

part # for 67-71 tilloston choke

Originally posted by ratfink View Post
          Does anyone have a picture or diagrahm of the throttle and choke cable brackets as mounted on a 68 flh?

Search all over to no avail.

Thanks.
          In my 1961-1971 amf harley parts book

part # 29225-67 for the bracket
          # 29220-67 for the choke tube
          # 29216-67 for the choke wire
          # 29214-67 knob
          #7789 for the nut to hold bracket to tube
          # 7608 nut to hold knob to wire
          #575 hairpin to for choke cable tube

Comment

Murph,

I have a 1979 Shovelhead hot rod on which I run as S&S 'E' series carburator. I have been thinking of changing the throttle to internal like the early FL's and Sportsters (no return spring) using the original early handlebars (NOT MODIFIED !), and also mounting an oval (Ham Can) air cleaner.

Which carb are you running and which air cleaner did you modify? Do you have any problem with leg clearance? Any suggestions and/or time-saving tips?

By the way - very nice '62 Sportster! I also have a 1964 XLCH - my first bike....

Thanks!!
            Last edited by billpedalino; 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

I will take some photos of how I did it and post it. I ride my 68 fl everywhere and never had an issue. There is some things that need to be done though. The throttle cable needs to be braided like one from the bicycle store. The throttle cable plate on the carb needs to be drilled for the cable fitting end on the carb, the one that is original to the linkerts and tillitsons. and an additional return spring. All will be explained in the photos, if not get back too me. I'll try to post tonite. Also you need cut the weld on the original backing plate neatly so as not too molest the backing plate.
              1959 XLCH

Comment

Here you go.

Dave Swanson
                1956 FLH
                1969 FLH
                1964 XLCH
                1956 KHK
                1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Bill maybe I misunderstood, did you want the pics of the modified s+s carb with the stock air cleaner and internal throttle. Or the stock set up that Dave is showing.
                  1959 XLCH

Comment

I was looking for photos of an S&S carb set up for the original internal throttle.....
                    Bill Pedalino
                    Huntington, New York
                    AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, I am sorry I completely forgot about this thread and sending pics. Here is a shot of my 68 with the stock air cleaner. There is an s and s under there. I know it doesn't help but it is the final look. The bike is in winter storage about half hour from me so photos aren't readily avalible for me to take. I will take a camera if I go there which I am sure I will before spring.
                      1959 XLCH

Comment

hey murph I am also interested in your carb set up......
                        Jarl Rue
                        Omaha Chapter
                        38ULH
                        62FL, 68FLH

Comment

Ditto. My 72FX has a S&S E and I want it to be more stock appearing but don't want to lose the S&S.
                          Lonnie Campbell #9908
                          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
                          X