Tail light lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail light lens

Check this out on fleese-bay. Weren't all sporsters and pans tail lights running plastic by 1963? #120470441445. Bob
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

It is a repop
    Jeff Bowles
    Arkansas
    Membership # 14023
    1957 Sportster

Comment

Think lenses were glass till 67. The profile is different also. the glass ones are almost flat, the plastic ones stick out of the trim ring about a half inch.
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
        Think lenses were glass till 67. The profile is different also. the glass ones are almost flat, the plastic ones stick out of the trim ring about a half inch.
        Nope, they were plastic. There are two versions of the early flat lens. The later one has sae aftaer Guide 55.

I think that the very early lenses, perhaps 55 only may have been glass--I've seen glass lenses that I'm fairly sure were original--but I'm not sure of the years. I know for certain that by 57 they were plastic.

Comment

I am no expert but know of an original 56 with a plastic lens and heard that the 55 year was the only glass lens. Again I am no expert just my opinion.
          1959 XLCH

Comment

I have heard the same thing: '55 may have been the only year the glass lens was used. When I searched for the correct lens for my '60 CH, the only one I could find was a V Twin repop made of glass. I guess it is better to have a correct looking glass lens than a plastic lens that sticks out too far.
            George Tinkham
            Springfield, IL
            www.virmc.com
            AMCA # 1494
            1941 Indian 841
            1948 Indian Chief
            1956 H-D KHK
            1960 CH
            1964 BMW R69S
            1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
            1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

The pattern in the glass len was completely different than the plastic lens. The repops share the same pattern as plastic. Neither have a pattern like the eBay lens. This lens shape was also used by Chevrolet, GMC and others.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Tail light lens

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                Check this out on fleese-bay. Weren't all sporsters and pans tail lights running plastic by 1963? #120470441445. Bob
                In 55 you would see the GUIDE RH-55 in plastic only,. Some time in 1959, there was a change. I have both lenses. The round reflector section in the plastic was moved from the bottom to the top. The year script was moved from the bottom to the top. It then read SAE-STDB-59. Again, both thin plastic.

Comment

Working...
                X