Best 12 volt battery for '41?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 12 volt battery for '41?

My 1937 UL has a 1941 frame/oil tank/battery housing and it has been converted to 12 volt.

The previous owner had gel battery in there turned on its side that was also way too small.

I would like to get a better fitting battery, something more close to the original size that would fit in there properly, but is also high quality. Since it is covered and you can't really see it, I would be happy with reliable and powerful over the exact original-looking battery. It has to fit within the battery housing of a 1941 style oil tank.

Anything anyone would recommend?

Also, gel or lead/acid?

Thanks very much for any insight, opinion or links.
    - Wade

This winter, I shall be researching gel cell batteries for my '56 KHK Harley. What I will do is take the original battery to the various battery companies here in Springfield, IL and look for the battery within the size limits of the original that has the best performance characturistics.

I have used gel cell batteries on my '48 Chief and '66 Honda 150 Touring Benly for several years with no problems. The gel cells seem to forgive neglect; so, they are great for older machines that may not be ridden often.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
    X