Looking for info on Moto Guzzi Airones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on Moto Guzzi Airones

I am looking for info on 1950s era Moto Guzzi 250 Airone motorcycles. Photos, literature, technical stuff or clubs. Thanks.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Since my las post on these interesting small displacement Italian motorcycles I have purchased a 1955 Military Moto Guzzi Airone.

Still looking for any and all info, parts and other sources on Airone stuff.

Thanks.
    Buzz Kanter

Comment

Moto Guzzi National Owners Club

Hello Have you been to the Moto Guzi National Owners Club web site?
      It will link you to what you want to know.
      Paul

Comment

How about Harper's MotoGuzzi ? I stopped by there over the summer and it's a fantastic place, got something like 650 bikes for sale. I've seen their ads for years and finally got to check them out.
        Louie
        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

well I got my 1955 Moto Guzzi 250 Airone military bike running (after sitting for many years with a previous owner) after I drained the terpentine sitting in the gas tank. Then I changed the oil - REAL old and thick. But the bike would not idle and it spit a lot out the carb.

So I cleaned the carb as best I could (I have the owners manual and shop manual in Italian - which I don't speak or read) and found some nasty black gummy stuff in there. After putting it back together I got it to run and idle with the occasional spit out the carb - and the odd looking air cleaner housing was broken when I bought the bike.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the occasional spit back from the carb? I figure the more I ride it with some carb cleaner in the frsh gas the better it will run - at least it has so far.
          Buzz Kanter

Comment

Carbs

Buzz,

Does that bike have Dellorto Carbs with remote floats? I had a racer with a later set of Dellortos and they were a real pain to tune! Check this out:

http://www.guzzino.com/decapa.html

Did you clean out all the carb jets, especially the low speed stuff. They tend to have very small holes. A set of gas welding tip cleaners is very usefull in getting gunk out of small holes. You can pick them up at Home Depot, etc. Carb cleaner followed by blowing the jets and passages out with air usually does the trick. Also make sure the the float and needle assembly are clean and free moving.
            Last edited by dlm32; 12-05-2009, 08:36 AM.
            David Morrill
            Sylacauga, AL. USA.
            AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
            Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

Originally posted by dlm32 View Post
              Buzz,

Does that bike have Dellorto Carbs with remote floats? I had a racer with a later set of Dellortos and they were a real pain to tune! Check this out:

http://www.guzzino.com/decapa.html

Did you clean out all the carb jets, especially the low speed stuff. They tend to have very small holes. A set of gas welding tip cleaners is very usefull in getting gunk out of small holes. You can pick them up at Home Depot, etc. Carb cleaner followed by blowing the jets and passages out with air usually does the trick. Also make sure the the float and needle assembly are clean and free moving.
              Dave thanks for the reply. Yes I have had the carb (remote float) apart and cleaned everything I could. Actually I used a piece of racer safety wire to poke through the holes. And funny that you point me to Guzzino - that's who I bought the old Moto Guzzi from. And glad I did - he is a stand up guy.
              Buzz Kanter

Comment

Buzz,
                Patrick Hayes is the go-to-guy for "bacon slicer" info...
                pehayes(at)comcast.net

Comment

Buzz,
                  Have you seen the new issue of " the Classic MotorCycle"? There is a restored Airone in it. and as always with their articles a few contacts.
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                    Buzz,
                    Have you seen the new issue of " the Classic MotorCycle"? There is a restored Airone in it. and as always with their articles a few contacts.
                    Robbie
                    Have not seen it. Can you send me a scan of it? Thanks.
                    Buzz Kanter

Comment

I have a few thousand miles on my 1955 Moto Guzzi Airone now and really enjoy it if I am not in a hurry. Handsome bike but pretty underpowered. I took it out for a breakfast ride this morning. Only 28 degrees when I left the driveway today. Yes, that is snow on the ground in the background. Brrrrr....

I put the shiny new chrome muffler on last week as the original one rusted through and fell apart on the last Moto Giro I competed on with this bike. Had to hold it together with a crushed soda can, duct tape and some safety wire.

I am running a newer Mikuni carb as the original vintage Dellorto broke and parts are all but impossible to find.
                      Buzz Kanter

Comment

Hey Buzz, You might want to check out MG Cycle for parts also. A very good friend of mine has a 55 Airone civilian model, and all the info he has is in Italian also.

Comment

Working...
                        X