Primary Gaskets???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Gaskets???

I bought a primary gasket kit and I think most, if not any, of the correct gaskets were on the old girl when I got her.

the Gasket Kit (VTwin - Gary Bang) is from 65-82, so I imagine, at minimum I have EXTRA parts...

the only gaskets that are obvious to me are the outer primary, the inspection cover and the starter housing gasket...

Here are my questions:

The kit included a round 3 hole gasket (approx 6" diameter) that is for the motor shaft... but it does not fit my 66 (too big), so is likley for an earlier or later model.. and when I look at the parts manual, it does not show a gasket on the 66??

Then I have a firm rubber/plastic fitting that apparently press fits into the clutch hole and go over the clutch shaft???? and there is a soft foam/rubber piece that is just the right size to go inside that housing... I don't know which direction any of that fits on (if that is even where it goes) and what/where the foam piece goes (which also has a self adhesive side)..or even which side faces out?

then there are two rubber/plastic fittings that on of them fits nicely over the clutch rod (is that where it goes? and another one similar to it, but larger, so I don't know if it is meant for anohter location or a different year??

I attached a pdf of the gasket kit #15-0621 if it helps.. at least it shows the parts I'm talking about.

Thanks..
    Steve
    Attached Files

OldHog66
    The three hole gasket is for the clutch derby cover which your '66 does not have. The foam ring is to seal between the starter solenoid and the cover. I assume you got the kit with seals so there is likely one for the inner cover to transmission shaft. There are also most likely seals for the shifter shaft on some models which goes through the inner and outer covers, you don't use them. That is the problem with kits like that. hey try to cover too many years and sometimes don't even have all the right ones for the year you need. The gasket set should have a list of part numbers included. See if it does and what they are. match them up to your parts book to see what you need for your application.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
      OldHog66
      The three hole gasket is for the clutch derby cover which your '66 does not have. The foam ring is to seal between the starter solenoid and the cover. I assume you got the kit with seals so there is likely one for the inner cover to transmission shaft. There are also most likely seals for the shifter shaft on some models which goes through the inner and outer covers, you don't use them. That is the problem with kits like that. hey try to cover too many years and sometimes don't even have all the right ones for the year you need. The gasket set should have a list of part numbers included. See if it does and what they are. match them up to your parts book to see what you need for your application.
      Robbie
      Rub, is there a way to call you? I get most of what you said.. confused about the starter seal how the tranny seal/inner primary fits.. No individual part numbers in the kit... (arghhh)..

If call is ok, let me know if tonight or tomorrow (or best time for you)...
      thanks.
      Steve

Comment

Mostly figured out..

Why is there no gasket between the motor and the inner primary where the motor shaft comes through? Do you leave it that way or buy some thin gasket material and make a circle??

I figured out the plastic seal goes on the back side of the inner primary around the trans shaft.. (1 down)..

but is there another seal that goes over the end of the shaft where the clutch rod comes out??

Thanks
        Steve

Comment

that seal is in the nut

Comment

Working...
          X