Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Shock Covers

Hi guys,

I have another question for you guys. I have a pair of OEM Sportster rear shocks. The covers on them are original, but the chrome on them is flaking off and not very attractive. I want to take these covers off and either re-chrome them or replace them. I can't for the life of me get these covers off though. I had them in a vice grip trying to hit them off with a rubber mallet, I let them soak in WD-40 nothing seems to work to get these covers off. I imagine they simply slip on and off. Any help would be great.
    New York City
    1957 Sportster
    AMCA Member# 9766

you have to put them in a shop press and turn the bottom 1/4 turn then let the pressure off slowly. you can get hurt bad from the spring pressure. might be best to take to any machine or motorcycle shop. shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour for both. money well spent. if you do it yourself be careful

Comment

take a look at Robert Luland post on shock tool
      and it will give you a idea on how to make a tool to take the shock apart. I made one out of two pieces of canal steel and some all thread
      Jeff Bowles
      Arkansas
      Membership # 14023
      1957 Sportster

Comment

I bought a shock compression tool from Debrix that works on covered shocks. I think it cost about thirty bucks.

Comment

Powerlifter, I don't know where you are in in Bloomburgs toilet but if ya want to take a trip to my Hoboken shop one afternoon. I'd be glad to take them apart for ya. Bob L
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Same goes for me. If you want to ride over to Washington State, I'll give you run of my shop, including my 'over-the-top' shock compressor tool!
            But these days I have a 10-ton hydraulic C press, anyway......

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips. I appreciate it. I am going to try that shock compression tool If I can find one.
              New York City
              1957 Sportster
              AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

Here's the link to the one I bought:

http://www.debrix.com/Shock-Spring-C...p/20108-m1.htm

Comment

Thanks Moon Wolf, I'll look into that.
                  New York City
                  1957 Sportster
                  AMCA Member# 9766

Comment