Shock take apart tool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock take apart tool!

I’m sitting in the shop today faced with the fact that I’m going to use every machine in my shop to mill and make a tool to take a pair of 60 shocks apart. This is something that I have absolutely no interest in doing since the shop is 89 degrees. So back into that refrigerator I call an office. After pondering this for about ten minutes. It hit me. I mean shear blood and guts, thinking out of the box, back yard dog pound technology! The contraption you see in the pictures I put together out of stuff in stock but you could by the whole shooting match for under ten bucks at your local plumbing supply. The clamps you see are riser clamps (There what hold pipes at each floor level when your running them vertical.). As you can see in photo number two the 2” clamp fits the bottom of the shock perfectly. What you’ll need is one 1.1/4” and one 2”clamp. A handful of 3/8” washers & nuts and some thread rod. This thing works like a charm. I mean if ya really got into it and welded a rod couplings on the clamp. You’d have a tool that would last a life time. Bob L
    Attached Files
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

That's quick and down and dirty, for sure! But functional. And fast to put together.
    Several years ago, my buddy and I decided to fabricate a couple shock tools, and yeah he's a welder. On these, you can use an air wrench to speed things up a little!
    Hope it's okay to post this here.
    Attached Files

Comment

Bob,
      Nice quick and easy tool.

Big,
      Now that is some serious overkill, you guys must be bored!

Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Tom one end was welded so I could use the impact. That thing is so simple it's a wonder I didn't come up with this tweanty years ago. Bob
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Two old clutch plates and two pieces of all thread the approprate length and some nuts and washers has served me well in the past. Don't even think I had to modify the holes in the center, but it's been a while since I've had to do that job.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
            Big,
            Now that is some serious overkill, you guys must be bored!
            Robbie
            Yeah, I admit that. But it was twenty years ago...... And I can count on one hand how many times I've used it!

I like Robert's method, and now that bmh mentioned it, I remember hearing about that trick with the old clutch plates.

Comment

another one

Here's mine.
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X