Suugestion for a "Nostalgia Life" section of the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suugestion for a "Nostalgia Life" section of the forum

I had an idea for something new and specific for the forum.

What if there was an area of the forum dealing with "Nostalgic Life" which would pertain specifically to the time frame of pre-1950.

It would specifically be a place to discuss, share and talk about all kinds of aspects of that time period in regards to photos, real stories of people (or FROM people) who lived then, clothing of the period, riding clothes, etc. and any events pertaining to a "Nostalgic Life".

Just an idea, as I could see how this topic could get lost in the "Parking Lot Chatter" area of the forum, but with the inception of a "Nostalgic Life" area, many things can be gained that otherwise isn't, plus it only makes research of those topics more readily available!
    Last edited by 1776J; 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM.
    "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

No interest huh?.... too bad...
    "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

I'm interested.
      I can't contribute any first hand knowledge, I was born in '56.
      But, like all of us, I'm facinated by the forties. I think its a great idea & I'm surprised no one has said anything. There will be a lot of lost information if its not collected. We have a great resource here, we should make the most of it. My family has often thought in the past how good it would be to tape record my grandparents. We waited too long. By the time we tried my grandmother was the only survivor & she was unable to remember. This would be good to try with some of our elderly members. Listening to recordings of first hand knowledge of races, factory employee memories, etc. There is so much lost with each members passing. When you here someone tell a story that was commonplace then, but unthinkable now, its facinating. I'd like to hear more stories about "bobbing" bikes after WW2. I've heard quite a few about chopping bikes after Viet Nam. Even those stories someday will be lost.
      Times ticking friends, Bob
      Bob

Comment

Hello Dave

Originally posted by badger34
        I also would support this. To me the parking lot chatter section is too broad. One of the reasons I joined here was to learn more about the 1930's period in Milwaukee. Both of my grandparent's worked for H-D and were active in the Milwaukee Motorcycle Club during that time. My grandfather who was a test rider in the experimental department passed in 1980 before I had the opportunity to sit and have adult conversations with him and I know that I missed many terrific tales. My grandmother just passed last month at the age of 94. It was through this forum that I learned of Herbert Wagner's works and found his book H-D 1930-1941 Revolutionary Motorcycles & Those Who Rode Them, this has become my favorite resource because I recognize so many names from what I have learned and I know these are the folks my grandparent's spent time with enjoying their machines.

A nostalgia section would work and parking lot chatter could then be used only for off topic messages and communications.
        Hello Dave,
        It's been awhile, I recently was given another 90 photo's of Dad's club,so now I have a 100 photo album of the Milw. Pirates M/C,when is the next time your in town?
        Ken
        Last edited by milw.pirates; 10-03-2009, 04:45 PM. Reason: edit
        Ken S., # 6457
        1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
        1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

okay guys, you got me. I am working on something for the new web site.
          it will be a while before everything is finished, so be patient
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

This would be a good place to establish a "vintage" photo library, too.
            Those old photos show us details, which is valuable information for restorations.

Comment

Originally posted by kval View Post
              okay guys, you got me. I am working on something for the new web site.
              it will be a while before everything is finished, so be patient
              Really happy to hear that!

We all are are caretakers of history,... it just needs to be realized, and cherished. I'm happy to see that this idea has caught the eye of those it needed to, to get going on its way. I know it will be a good place to keep lit the fires that were lit long before you and I.

Kudos to running with this meager idea of mine,... thank you... I know others will too!

(if you love history... like me,...
              www.hotironclub.com )
              Last edited by 1776J; 10-05-2009, 12:07 PM.

Comment

A.F. Van Order

I would suggest a look back at the articles written by Avery Franklin Van Order (1886-1954). Van was a rider, racer, and dealer of motorcycles. In his later years he wrote extensively for the "Motorcyclist" magazine. He sponsored and held an old timers dinner and meeting in L.A. for a number of years. Obit says it all "Motorcyclist, Jan. 1955, Pp. 18

Comment

Working...
                X