Tom Siftons Knuck Bobber in 1936

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Siftons Knuck Bobber in 1936

I found this photo in the Motorcycle Jackets book. An excellent book by the way. It shows Tom Sifton on his Knuck Bobber with a 1936 California plate clearly visable. The bike has some 1936 faetures on it. Most obvious is the position of the feed line on the oil tank. But is clearly in the 1937 frame. Being as the bike has been repainted it is hard to tell what year it is. A late '36 with the new frame? An early 1937 with a carryover '36 oil tank? A new 1937 sold in late 1936 would have the 1936 plate on it. Does anybody know for sure what year this bike was?
    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 08-08-2009, 11:55 AM.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

nice pic chris.

Comment

The photo also throws a wrench in the works on the old photos discussion of rolled up dungarees being a post-war phenomena. Those look like rolled up dungarees to me! Along with that '36 plate.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I don't believe the rolled up jeans means a whole heck of a lot. I still roll em up if the jeans can't be bought to length.

Comment

They don't look rolled up to me; they look like they might've been rolled up, but they're as unrolled as he can get 'em in the photo. At least that's what I see.......

Comment

Look again Tom, the hem is at the top of the fold, not at the bottom of the leg.
            Robbie
            And the Knuckle is cool with or without pants!
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Sure is a shame what Taiwan Tedd has done to that man's good name, A true innovator of speed. All I can say about the jeans is that mom is gonna have a fit trying to wash em
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                Look again Tom, the hem is at the top of the fold, not at the bottom of the leg.
                Robbie
                Yes, I agree to both counts, Robbie....!

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                  Robbie
                  Tom Sifton without pants? That is a scarry thought.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Tom Sifton?

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    I found this photo in the Motorcycle Jackets book. An excellent book by the way. It shows Tom Sifton on his Knuck Bobber with a 1936 California plate clearly visable.
                    That motorcycle jacket book has some great pics, but there are at least several obvious mistakes in the text/captions, this is one of 'em. The man in the pic is actually Sam Arena. Sam raced for Tom Sifton, and was a star rider in the '40s (check-out his bio in the MC hall of fame). Sam took over the HD dealership in San Jose from Tom Sifton and was still running it in the '60s when I started riding.
                    Doug.
                    Doug McLaughlin #6607
                    NorCal, USA

Comment

That looks like a chrome tank too, which is not on the factory options list, until you see that picture in the September 1936 Enthusiast of Miss Florence Burnham 'well known in the speedboat world' on her fully chromed knucklehead, including tanks and fenders. Lucky these bikes don't come in for judging...

Comment

Back to the bike. The gas tanks looks like chromeplated with black accent & decal. Mayby somebody remembers blasting that off for a restoration. Might put a light on the bike's later fate and possible whereabouts.
                        AMCA #2124

Comment

the license plate alone doesn't necessarily date the picture to 1936. it could have been last licensed in 36 then ridden on the track for years after that but the plate remained.

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
                            the license plate alone doesn't necessarily date the picture to 1936. it could have been last licensed in 36 then ridden on the track for years after that but the plate remained.
                            If you raced that bike on the track, the license plate would be the first thing to go.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Hi.
                              There was a 1937 EL in the judging hall at Davenport this year that had this same style oil tank.
                              It had the correct pressed top for 37 but had the earlier style rear oil line outlet instead of the better known bottom outlet.
                              It was a low VIN number, but not what I would call a transition bike "I think the VIN was 37 EL195?"
                              I have some nice clear pictures but they excede the forum limit and I'm not sure how to resize them for the format but not alter my originals.
                              Gerry, you once offered to resize some pics for the forum for me.
                              If I send them to you, can you resize them and post them?
                              Regards Steve Little
                              Steve Little
                              Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                              Australia.
                              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
                              X