45 oiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 oiling

A few questions. Oil pressure is about 20-25 psi with 50w on start up. Is this good?

I was watching the return line in the oil tank to make sure I'm getting return, and it's not a steady stream. More like spurts every second or two. Is this expected?

I noticed that the primary chain is not getting oiled. I messed with the adjuster screw, and still couldn't get it to oil. I even pulled the screw completely, and noticed the screw was completely dry. Isn't the primary chain oiler on the same 'circuit' as the cam gear galley? How do I know if the cams are getting oil? I'm returning oil fine, and the gauge shows 20 pounds. The cams do sound noisy, but I guess I expected that. I just don't want to do any damage. Should I pull the oil pump and check the springs and balls?

Just concerned.........

All your going to get is a little intermittent burble on the return. What your seeing is completely normal. I'm not sure about the PSI rate... a more knowledgeable member should be able to tell you.

As for your primary chain.......did you have small washers under the screw? If not and the screw was turned completely down then the oiling would be shut off. I had the same problem with mine and found the rear chain was getting too much oil and swapped washers from the rear chain oiler to the front chain oiler (the more washers the more oil you get to the chain). I got a little bit more but not much. I just ended up checking the chain periodically and manually oiling it. The manual says to periodically pull the screws out and flush the passage with gasoline and blow out with compressed air. I've not done this yet. Maybe there's an up-to-date fix on this?

Your definitely going to hear some noises coming out of the ol' flattie. Don't get too worried about it unless the noises are real bad!

I'm actually glad you posted this as I'd like to hear feedback as well from the mechanical wizards on this forum!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

I actually removed the screw COMPLETELY! The screw was dry and still no oil was getting to the chain. I'm just wondering if that 'circuit' is blocked off, and no oil is getting to the cam chest.

Comment

Did you insure that no passageways were blocked after applying the oil pump gasket?
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

This just came to me....... what year of 45 are we discussing?
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Sorry..........The motor is a 1954 G........the rest is a 1935 RL.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              Did you insure that no passageways were blocked after applying the oil pump gasket?
              No I didn't. Maybe the pump gasket is blocking that passage?

Comment

Originally posted by hdrl1935 View Post
                Sorry..........The motor is a 1954 G........the rest is a 1935 RL.
                The '35 in your handle had me wondering.....

Originally posted by hdrl1935 View Post
                No I didn't. Maybe the pump gasket is blocking that passage?

Could be...... I'd be thinking I might check it. Hopefully someone else on this forum can provide some input.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                  Hopefully someone else on this forum can provide some input.
                  Hopefully........

Pulled the pump off tonight. Checked the spring lengths, the balls, reset the screw to 3/8" below body. The gasket looks fine. The holes are all there. Squirted carb cleaner through the chain oiler screw adjusting hole.......it shot out through the cam cover. That's good, at least I know I've got a clear passage from the pump to the adjusting screw. Put everything back together, started it up......nothing again. Put a coat hanger through the oiler tube on the primary side.......something is stuck in there. Tried 'hooking' it out. Ended up pushing it into the motor! Got a piece stuck on the coat hanger........PAPER TOWEL. Stupid me. That's what I get for taking years to rebuild this thing. Forget what you've done. Probably stuffed some in there to bead blast, the pressure forced it down the tube, couldn't see it, then forgot all about it.

So..............

I forget what the inside of the cases look like. Where does the oiler tube go inside the cases? What if I did push the paper towel in the cases? Is it just in the flywheel area, or did I shove it inside the cam cover? Even if I took the cam cover off, could I get out the rest of the paper towel, or would I need to split the cases? I don't think that much damage could be done if it's just in the flywheel area, and I'd expect it to fall apart pretty quickly.

As far as the oiler adjusting screw being dry......maybe I need to run it faster than idle to get enough pressure to activate the bypass circuit.

All in all, this sucks, and next time, I'll need to be more careful and check all passages with compressed air to clear them before putting things together.

Comment

I bet that it won't hurt it, it is soft. It will undoubtedly disintegrate wherever it goes into some oily wood pulp. Those motors are pretty hardy. As for that oiler, I know that you should see it drip even at low rpm. Denise

Comment

I agree with Denise, except for a concern with blasting media, which may have built up on the paper towel.

Comment

Okay.......

After looking at a set of cases, I found out the oiler passage goes through both cases and into the cam cover, and NOT into the flywheel area of the motor. Bought a long 3/16" drill, and worked it by hand through the oiler tube, snagged the paper towel, and pulled it out. Blew through the oiler adjusting screw hole to clear any left over debris OUT of the engine. Now that is clear. And last night I made sure the passage from the camcover to the adjusting screw was clear by shooting some carb cleaner through there. All passages are clear.

Started it up..............STILL NO OIL. WTF is going on?

Comment

Maybe I'm just suffering from a brain freeze but you've got me stumped. I've dug through all my books regarding 45's and their oil pumps and have not come up with any reason why that would happen. Could one possibly fire it up and add oil to prime it? Just a thought. Surely someone can speak up on this matter........
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

You should prime it anyway.

Comment

Prime the chain oiler?

The bike was started with about a pint of oil poured over the rod bearings, and cams.

The oil tank was filled, and the line pulled off until oil flowed to the end of the line. Then the line was attached.

Maybe I'm just not getting enough pressure to open up the bypass circuit which oils the cam chest and the primary chain? I dunno, I'm at a loss.

Comment

Working...
                              X